HybridZ

1976 280z Rb25 Build

Front support beam is welded into place, fits great. About an hour more of welding and grinding and it should be finished, then a bit of body filler and paint and its finished. Should be able to get the drivers side quarter panel repaired this weekend maybe some dents pulled.

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

Oh yeah, talked to an engine supplier, settled on a price. Very friendly, should be ready to order soon...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went for a ride in my brothers truck, did some sweet rolling burnouts lol Motor came out of a 83 el camino, previous owner claimed the engine has about 400hp. I dont know about that but it smokes the tires with no effort. I know its only one wheel, he plans to get a 12 bolt and put posi in it.

Sorry about the quality the noise was messing with the camera as you can see with the warping towards the end.

[media]

[/media]

IMAG0160.jpg

IMAG0158.jpg

Edited by slammed_s30

Got a few days off from work, going to clean out the gas tank this weekend, seems to be a little rusty, drained a few ounces and it was a golden amber color with chunks floating around and that was new gas 4 weeks ago so... thats why the old pump failed . Ill have to change the inline fuel filter with something a little better then install my new walbro 255, maybe then I can take it for a ride if everything goes as planed. If I get it going Ill post a video up, then Im going to get my windshield installed, and get photos taken for the dmv maybe I can get them before snow falls? Probably not.

Edited by slammed_s30

IMG_1934.jpg

Removed all the bracket and wires hold downs in the picture above, also finally finished grinding down the lower radiator brace. Try to get some bondo on the thing tomorrow before work, sand and prime with in the next week. Final paint once the engine mounts and radiator/intercooler are in place but I need an engine first...

Great build. Looking forward to seeing it come together. Wish u were farther south I'd love to help out.

I used to live just north of Rockford, IL in Rockton up until a year ago, are you in northern iL?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So as some of you may have read in the posts, the car was slightly out of square by about 1/4 front to rear. Which caused a slight tracking then the car was driven, today I attempted to tackle that problem. A previous owner at one point had put it on a frame machine as I can see evidence of the clamps along the passenger frame rail near the front suspension. Although Im sure they greatly helped the damage they did not completely fix the problem. I had my dad help me today with this as this is the first time I have ever attempted to repair a frame, he used a frame machine hundreds of times so I had faith. He told me what to do and how to imitate a frame machine. I used a couple of cable come-alongs and some chain boomers(binders) attached to both the f-150 and the saab's trailer hitches. My dad lined the cars up in the correct spot to simulate a frame machines towers. Put some tension on the car and then used a porta-power to push the frame back into shape. Ill have to pull the car behind the truck and have a couple friend help to see if it still tracks or it I fixed the problem. Its within a 1/32 of an inch now which im sure is about how much these were off when they were new. Sorry no pictures as there wasnt much to photograph. So now that thats all done I can order an rb25 hopefully next week...

Edited by slammed_s30

• 3 weeks later...

Havent updated for awhile, finals and work consumed all of my time. Got the engine, started installing. I started by removing the stock 280z trans mounts, and converted them to a style similar to the 240's had. Photos arent great but they'll do for now. Bolts attach to the bottom.

SDC10534.jpg

The engine is in its final place just waiting to make mounts need to double check measurements, I plan to do a variation of the stock and mckinney mounts. Still trying to decide if I should use the datsun rubber mounts or get urethane biscuits for this.

SDC10536.jpg