HybridZ

wiring question(s) and vacuum help

EDIT: *I'll shorten the post as things on here are confirmed/answered*

Prior to posting, I checked the FSM and used the search function. Much of this is an educated guess based on the FSM and what I found searching, but I was hoping someone here could confirm my guesses, and maybe answer the few other questions I have.

Finishing the (budget) restoration on my 77.

83 (I believe) zx turbo motor, pretty stock. F54 block, P90 head

Intercooled and megasquirted (MS1v3)

ZX alternator upgrade

No vac advance on distributor. It's controlled by the MS.

FYI, the MS was installed 4 yrs ago right after I bought the car. I didn't know as much about them at the time, I had no garage, and had the extra money to spare, so I had it professionally installed. Sadly, the guy who installed it (great guy) had a heart attack and died right after my car left his garage. I suspected my car, but never came forward. So far, no problems with the MS, but I rarely drive the car.

So, putting it back together. I have some wiring questions. Gonna start from the drivers side and work our way around clockwise.

1.̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶y̶l̶i̶n̶d̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶ - these are not part of the '77 wiring.

2. one female butt connector, under drivers side hood flap. Blue w/ white stripe

3.i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶a̶l̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶p̶o̶r̶t̶i̶o̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶v̶e̶?̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶e̶m̶a̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶a̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶t̶.̶.̶.̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶?̶

Got an answer on this. The green wire w/ yellow stripe goes here.

4. coil area wiring (explained below with photo)

5. BCDD vac hose goes to...? Charcoal canister cap? (dist vac advance port---my dist has no vac advance...it had no charcoal canister either when I bought it)

6. I'm not seeing the port on my manifold for the charcoal canister purge. can I just...stick it somewhere on the manifold?

7. I have two small empty ports (pictured) on my intake manifold. Do they go to the AC solenoids (which I just installed from a junk car)? if so, which is which? One has a diaphragm or whatchacall on it.

2. Under the drivers side hood flap, I have two female plugs, one with GREEN/YELLOW STRIPE, the other BLUE/WHITE STRIPE. I already added the missing windshield washer bottle, so that plug is taken care of. The GY goes to the proportioning valve. What's the other one go to?

IMG_0706.jpg

4. Coil area wiring.

Coil negative was loose when I began restoration. Ran like crap, thought it was the coil before I found the loose wire, so I threw in the Accel I had lying around. Car had an AC compressor on it that was completely disconnected - wire and hoses.

Wire colors:

Blue - coil (-) I checked this with an ohm meter to make sure. It's the blue coil ground. But like I said, when I pulled the coil during restoration, nothing was attached to the negative. There was a few inches of wire on the coil neg that appears to have been twirled around something. On this part of the harness, there are TWO blue wires, I believe the other is for the AC compressor switch.

White/black stripe - this was connected to the coil (+). I did this. Okay? It was me. Pretty sure this is why the car ran like hell. I'm fairly certain this goes to the BCDD (which has a hanging black wire)

black/white stripe - bare wire, but I believe this is my coil (+) and not the BCDD feed I currently have connected to the coil positive. Reason I believe this? Because of the black/white stripe wire on the coil (+) that is still there, but plugged into the white/black stripe via butt connector.

second Blue wire - I believe this goes to the blue AC compressor switch wire, because the other one was a ground.

TWO wires with fem. blade connectors, both are black w. blue stripe - I believe these went to the transistor box and should be tucked away. Right?

Resistor wire - wasn't run to anything. I attached it to the sheet metal, before it was just hanging. Pretty sure I don't need it, but I am aware there are people who will say otherwise. I'm open for discussion.

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

The pic below shows a section of the harness just ahead of the coil. What you're looking at is the front of the drivers side. 5 wires that I believe now go to nothing.

red and green wires - I believe went to the transistor, I've already covered them.

white w. black stripe - same color as the BCDD wire from earlier. Guess I'm just wondering what this used to go to.

blue w. white stripe - same question.

black - haven't checked to see if it's a ground.

All of these wires come out of the same opening in the harness.

IMG_0716.jpg

5. BCDD vac hose - think this goes to the "vac advance" port on the charcoal canister. Currently it has a check valve that allows air to come out of it, but not go into it.

IMG_0711.jpg

6. Check #7 for a pic of my intake manifold. Maybe I'm just confused, but I don't see the port on my mani that corresponds to the port on others where this connects.

7. Two small ports on the intake manifold. The port on the right had the pass side firewall vac hose plugged into it. That hose is now plugged into the AC solenoids, and the two AC solenoid hoses I believe plug into these ports. Yes?

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

If you made it this far, thanks.

James

PS - Has anybody wired a fan to the factory thermo switch next to the temp sensor on the water neck?

Edited by scooterhulk

The first thing I would focus on is the wiring hacks at your fusible links terminal (last picture, with the wire nut). Looks like someone used plain old wire for one, and completely removed a whole link block.

You'll have to look at the Air Conditioning chapter of the FSM to figure out your small vacuum hose connections.

There should be a connection under the throttle body for the BCDD. Look in the Emissions chapter for a drawing.

The Electrical chapter will show you where some of the various wires should be connected. The diagrams have color codes for each wire. White with black stripe is switched power, be careful with it especially considering your lack of fusible links.

The blue wire iwth female bullet probably goes to what you're calling the proportioning valve. It's actually the brake pressure differential switch. It activates the brake light in the tach (or speedometer, wherever it is) if there's an imbalance. Described in Electrical chapter.

One of the blue wires probably goes from your coil (-) to the ECU Pin #1 so the old ECU could "know" when to squirt the injectors. Engine Fuel chapter.

Charcoal canister stuff is in the Emissions chapter also.

The wiring diagram would help you. Here's a link to one, can't verify accuracy - http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/wiringdiagrams/F77ZCAR-WIRING1.pdf

Edited by NewZed

Bump.

white w/ black stripe goes to BCDD

I found a wiring diagram for the megasquirt, so I should be in business with the coil.

I bought a fuse box to upgrade the fusible links.

Meantime, most of this I think I can sort out in the FSM. Anyone know what the blue wire w/ white stripe is in the drivers side firewall area? Comes out of the harness in the same location as the green w/ yellow st that plugs into the brake switch.

And if anyone wants to chime in on something before I get the time to find it in the fsm, go for it. thanks.