HybridZ

Finally taking out the L26...

Finally starting to happen guys. I am now working on taking out the L26 engine in prep for the LS1 and body work needed to start this project. The L26 has triple webers on it and the torque they produced on this engine tore through my diff... Time to upgrade all around. I loved the triple webers and L26 (only 90k on the engine, too!), but I'm gonna love the LS1 more, I think. :D Anyway, gotta try to find an LS1 with comparable miles to the chassis (around 90k) and ditch the current drivetrain to fund the next project.

I'm figuring on just yanking the whole engine/harness/tranny. Any tips on the removal? I unbolted the webers/intake to make it easier, but I couldn't see engine lift points off the bat.

The L26 has triple webers on it and the torque they produced on this engine tore through my diff...

O.o

A large part of be thinks that's impossible. I've seen guys run down into the 11's with R180 rear diffs, and that's usually with a SBC or L28ET.

The key to not blowing non-LSD diffs is to stay away from one-legging the car. The other issue people run into with broken stub shafts and half shafts stems from either lowering the car, or the loads under squat. The drive angles created there are not easy on parts.

Either way, a mere L26 NA shouldn't have a hope in hell to destroy a R180 unless there was abuse in the story. Solve your real issue first, otherwise even an open R200 might not solve your issues theres....

Regarding pulling the engine, I personally recommend to go ahead and pull everything from the radiator forward unless you have an overhead crane instead of a cherry picker. I'd keep the tranny on, no biggie, and keep the driveshaft on as long as possible to prevent spilling trans fluid everywhere, or if you don't care about the driveshaft, go ahead and just cut it so now you have a transmission plug. Take your time and don't make any huge lifts all at once. It's going to come out nice and easy, so if it ever seems stuck, go back down and figure out where it's getting caught.

Huh... Well Idk what the guy did to this car, but I know that with the auto 3 speed, putting the gas in a couple mm would slam you back in your seat. When I swapped in the 5 speed, I had to drop the clutch fast right as I tapped the gas a tiny bit to keep from burning the clutch. Of course after first gear, it was like a normal car, but the starting torque was RIDICULOUS. As you mentioned, maybe the car was abused in its previous life. Who knows? I suspected maybe he cammed the engine, but I have no idea. I always attributed it to the webers. Either way, the diff is definitely done, and since my goal is 400+ on the LS1, I feel like an R200 LSD is in order.

If you know someone in need... :D

Edited by zohanisback

I PMed you GB20. Not sure what my ultimate plans are, but I'll keep my options opened as far as getting rid of the thing goes.

Started undoing the wiring harness and I'm starting to think about removing all the front components as Gollum said. If I really just laid into it, I could have the engine out in an hour. But time constraints due to school suck at the moment. But I like the idea of pulling the whole thing at once, and the tranny is empty at the moment, so I don't have to worry about spills too much.