HybridZ

Industrial LD28 rear sump oil pan - Anyone actually use one?

LanceVance

I searched and couldn't find anyone who actually has used the industrial LD28 rear sump oil pan (see picture).

359_2.jpg

Reason I ask is I've noticed a number of forklift junkers near one of the junkyards I frequent while searching for Z parts (some of whom even advertise selling Datsun parts). Seems like it might be worth scouring through if I can get the more desirable LD parts at a decent price; beforehand, however I've got a few questions for anyone who may have used/gotten a good look at one of these:

Is the sump a 100% bolt on fit in the S30 chassis (I've read a few TonyD posts saying it is, though no references to anyone actually using it)?

What kind of increased oil capacity does the hammerhead style pan actually offer (if any)?

Will the regular L28 oil pickup tube work, or is the LD28 tube required?

Is the pan the same depth as the regular S30 pan, or is the hammerhead set up used merely to increase capacity of a shallow pan due to space constraints?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer some insight!

The LD28 midsump pans fit perfectly in the S30!

Long Ago in a city far far away I joined the dark side!

DSC00024_zpsd56f5383.jpg

DSC00023_zps749a9d92.jpg

And the important part:

P1000803_zps72fad756.jpg

DSC00023_zps749a9d92.jpg

As a side note, I make it a point to tell people that I was wronged by Jesco and that you should be weary purchasing from them.

Im pretty sure that's where that picture came from originally.

I believe the sump is a 7qt sump or so. It lacks real baffles inside as you can kind of see in one of my pictures. It has identical capacity to the maxima counter part.

I dont know and dont think the rear sump L series pickup is interchangeable, but its close.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Edited by rayaapp2

I kick myself for letting those pans go. Ive had two. I have my eyes open for even stock LD pans now to modify one onto a rear sump L series. A local board member I know also needs one for their maxima l28et swap. I personally only need one for the one l series I have in a car.

Keep your ears to the floor they will pop up.

There was one in Fresno/atwater a month ago, but I was to slow and it was sold.