HybridZ

LED lights

I know this topic has already been covered... but i didnt see anything that answered my question:

I want to change my brake, turn signal and rear running lights to LEDs ... can these lights be wired directly into the existing system as is? or do they need a low voltage transformer?

I wont be doing the work myself, but I want to buy all the parts.

FYI - the reason im thinking about switching to LEDs is that Im rewiring the car anyways, and also missing some of the bullb sockets/harnesses... and not concerned with keeping the car original.

There are already drop-in replacement bulbs available - no voltage dropping devices required, but you will need new turn signal and hazard light flasher relays that don't change speed when a bulb is missing. Take a look here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/

..there are plenty of suppliers on ebay as well. Try searching "LED replacement" along with the incandescent bulb's part number (1156 for example).

One great advantage of the LED bulbs is that they require much less current and remain very bright even with our 30+ year old harness wiring.

Edited by TimZ

I use this site to calculate what I needed http://ledcalc.com/

To give you an idea I ended up using 35 1500mcd super brite leds (with 30deg reflection angle) per brake light and a extra resistor to drop the voltage for the parklight function. Works fine but you need to remove the lenses to mount the circuit board.

Note: The smaller the reflection angle the brighter the LED. If you use 60deg angle the light will be weaker because its disperced over a wider angle.

Sucess

• Like 1