HybridZ

snapped bolts

AZGhost623

If you're talking about thermostat housing bolts to the head, those are M8x1.25.

Their lenght is different. I've got 25, 35 & 75mm in my own database for their related length but I recall having some problem during reassembly.

So if you source some, get some at 70mm for instance also. Bolts are so cheap, it's an easy insurance to avoid loosing one day hunting for bolts.

If you're talking about something else, please let me know, I've measured, replaced & recorded everything during my last engine rebuild.

You sir deserve some karma your way! I used your info this morning, and it worked out perfectly at ACE Hardware!! PO didnt keep the coolant right in this car. Everything is pretty much snapping off, but the good news is that I am transferring everything over to a new engine so I wont have to worry about that in the future. I have been using ACE to replace any bolts I see as iffy, like you said they are cheap!

One of those holes is directly behind the timing chain guide.  People have been known to put a too long bolt in that hole and press the guide in to the chain.  You can see it with the valve cover off if you're not sure and don't want to take it apart again.

those are M10x1.50 bolts, most likely. I don't have the length however since I don't have anything on those holes on my car.

For the length, check the thickness of your AC support & add 20mm at least.

Those bolts (thermostat housing, AC support) are not very sensitive but be careful with the bolt grade you're using. Ideally, you want 8.8 for these.

...and glad I've been able to help :)

Edited by Lazeum

Lazeum, your email is full or something, cant send a private message to you...

since you helped me out on the thermostat housing... Some how we misplaced all 4 of the motor mount bolts. The bolts that mount the engine to the rubber mount. I found two references to these bolts. One says M8x1.25, and the other is M10x1.50. Any clues?

Edited by AZGhost623

I haven't changed those but from my memory, they were not big bolts. So I would tend for M8x1.25, regarding their length they were around 25mm.

Those are sensitive regarding stress, you do not want to have your engine loose. Get the correct grade 8.8, nothing less.

Another hint would be to check the thread on the rubber mount. Since you've purchased some M8 bolts for your thermostat housing, just try to see if those would fit in it.

Mailbox full? I'll check it out. thanks for the info ;)