HybridZ

Questions about heads and cams

skirkland1980

I have questions about the FAQ about cylinder head cooling on #5 and also a simple camshaft question.

The first question is: Which heads have the casting flash in the coolant passage? Do I just remove the pipe plugs in the top of the head and drill a few holes in it? And once I've done that I can drill and tap holes above #5 & 6 and run a hose to the bottom of the t-stat housing, correct?

If my head doesn't have steel valve seats at what point should I consider them? I'm considering building a L28ET race engine soon.

The simple cam question: So Z cars basically had two cams right? I know there are internal oiled and spray bar oiled but had about the same profile. Then you have the hydraulic cam from the 280zx turbo which has the smallest profile. If I wanted to upgrade my cam wouldn't the cheapest upgrade be to get a cam from a P79 head and install it in my P90a and keep the hydraulic lifters? If I changed the cam and converted to solid lifters wouldn't I essentially have the same lift/duration as before?

I also don't understand what the fuss is about turbo engines and valve overlap. Do folks actually think that the boost pressure would rather blow out into a pressurized exhaust manifold rather than fill the space as the piston is moving down? Sounds a lot like a tuned exhaust pipe on a 2 stroke engine.