HybridZ

l28et electrical issues

joelrs7

Hi today I just swapped in and have everything ready to start my l28et motor swap into my 78 280z. I tried to turn the car over and the car has spark to the coil and the fuel pump is running and all that stuff but for some reason my ECU is not getting power. The other issue I ran into is my fusible link starts smoking if I connect the negative side of the battery up and this issue did not occur right away. If you could help it would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Lots more info needed...

You didn't mention which fusible link starts to smoke (ya, not a good sign...)  Your 280 has 4 of it's own and you should have added at least one more with the swap.  The ECCS ECU has 2 power sources, one connected through a fusable link directly to the battery and one from the EFI Relay which is activated by the IGN switch.  Easy to see when you have the FSM in hand and you're looking at the turbo circuit diagram...

Edited by cgsheen

I got it all figured out and shes purring like a cat:) thank you! I hooked up the ecu like you said and I didn't know how to specify which fusible link it was so I didn't mention which one  it was sorry. I found out what the problem was though, something with the alternator wasn't right and is was burning up. I got a new alternator, hooked it up the same, and now there's no problem. Do you by chance know any good wires I could connect my electric fan too? I hooked it up to a 12v constant so it would always run but it keeps blowing a fuse after a couple minutes.