HybridZ

Custom header build(no more stacks)

posting this off my phone so ill make it short. Those of you that have seen my car know it gad the exhaust sticking out the hood vent holed, well not anymore. About halfway done so ill post some teaser pics if I can figure it out on my phone. The first one is the passenger side,second is the drivers

post-27433-0-90077500-1357803352_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-53779900-1357803482_thumb.jpg

Its with a T56. I have custom motor mounta as well so the passenger side header loops on front of the mount. Going to finish the drivers side tonight and will hopefullu have them done other than finish welding by tomorrow night(read: 3am). Shooting for around 32" primaries and mostly equal length

-Will

Well i finished them, after about 100 hours of my life, they are done. Motor has to be pulled to get them in and out(Which I pretty much knew was going to happen). But they fit great once they are one, all spark plugs are easily reached. Going to send them off to get coated by someone once I get a chance, I painted them with BBQ grill paint, which seems to be hanging on, except I didnt prep them at all, so it scratches off really easily, which happened a lot during install.

At first they weren't bad, about halfway through, when I started building the bottoms going into the collectors, it got a little(read: a lot) frustrating. Not a lot of measuring involved, more of an eyeball, cut, cut, cut, tape, cut, tape, weld type deal. Probably would have been better had I had more than a week to do them. I pulled my car in last Sunday night and drove it out the past Sunday night. So exactly 7 days, at least 12 hour days, I'd say I have around 100 hours in them, but I also wasnt working very fast during those last hundred hours, got kinda burnt out but I kept on.

Had a little bit of a scare on my way back to school. My oil pressure would drop when I would get on the gas, and putting it in neutral made it drop like a rock to zero. It eventually got to where anytime I pressed on the gas it dropped to zero. After driving to the store this morning and it being at zero for over 45 seconds straight, I determined that it was definitely my sending unit, that or the LS1 bearings are made out of unobtainium. All I could think about was man I just build custom headers and my motor blows lol. But anyways speedhut customer service is grade A and is sending me a new one no questions asked.

I actually had 2 scares, the picture of my valve cover breather scared my cause it looks so milky, realized I was cleaning on split brake fluid from bleeding clutch and brakes, and that I probably got water on it. The picture of my oil pressure gauge is while the car was driving on the interstate around 65ish. I had time to unlock my phone, open the camera, and snap that all while it was on zero.

And heres some pictures, because everyone loves pictures.

In the first pic you can see the pool tube I used to get an idea of where to run the tubes, you can also see my mock engine by out of good ole 2x4's

Then the headers fully welded ready for paint, then paint. I painted them with some BBQ grill paint, which hasnt burned off yet, but we scratched a lot off installing them, although I account that to I did zero prep. So the paint probably didnt stick very well.

-Will

post-27433-0-28683300-1358296635_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-92660700-1358296741_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-73025200-1358296762_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-64086900-1358296777_thumb.jpg

post-27433-0-06700900-1358296792_thumb.jpg

Edited by wfritts911

What did you use to.make them with? A kit? Also, may be a bit late but give your self room for the.spark plugs. Looken cool!

No kit, I bought a box of miscellaneous bends from Schoenfeld Headers. They are relatively local to me(Fort Smith/Van Buren, AR). Then I bought 4 separate U/J bends. I had a few tubes left over but not many. A few more shallow bends would have been helpful. If you are considering it don't be scared. It really isn't hard work, just really tedious. But if you leave yourself a couple weeks to get it done, it probably won't be that bad. Definitely recommend the mock bay, would have been significantly harder in the car. And I definitely recommend a band saw. I used one of those twist tubing cutters meant for pvc/copper and Im pretty sure I spent more time cutting than anything else. I used my chopsaw some, but a lot of the bends you cant fit in the chopsaw. Don't be afraid to do it, my motor mounts made them a little bit more difficult than they should have been.

-Will

If you have a moroso catch can you are looking to get rid of I will take it off your hands for a fair price, been meaning to get one for a while now, my LS1 drinks oil. I will get you a bunch of beef jerky next time you head up this way as well, my dad works for Jack Links so I get a good(read: free) deal on it. Pm me the details.

-Will

PM me an address and I'll send the puke bottle next time I pass the UPS store.  Rebekah LOVES beef jerky.  Please, no dirty jokes-I'm being sincere, that is what I put in every college care package I send her-she can eat a whole bag of beef jerky in one session.  Sounds like a fair trade.  Just load the box back up with jerky and send it back and we'll call it even!  If only you ran a bacon factory, you'd be in like Flynn.