HybridZ

Kevko baffled oil pan

Just wondering if anyone has used one of these. Kinda surprised it didn't turn up in the search for this forum. I did see that 74_5.0L_Z is using one on his Ford engine. Looks like they have a 5" deep sump, baffled sheet metal pan with fittings for remote oil filter for $300.

http://www.kevkoracing.com/wetsump_chevy.htm

OK, different question. I understand Kevko will do a different sump depth if you want. If you could have a pan custom built, how deep would you make it? Same as LS2 at 5"? Shallower? I think the LS1 pan is something like 5.75" deep and the LS2 is 5" deep. I'm just thinking maybe I should go 4.5 or something if that is an option. If you had a shallower sump, could you move the engine lower in your car?

Judging by the looks of the front of that pan, it looks like it would allow it to go a little bit further down than a stock LS1 fbody pan. Given the LS1 pan is 5.75" deep I would make it at LEAST an inch shorter than that. My pan hangs an inch below the crossmember at least. Although I think my crank pulley limited me from going any further down so I'm not sure the shallower front would help any. With a small underdrive pulley you could possibly go even further down. A 4.5" sump would probably be my choice, although not sure what that does to oil capacity and possibly going dry on hard turns.

-Will

You have a LS2, right Keith? So if an LS2 is 5" and hangs down 1.5" below the crossmember, than the LS1 would be 2.25" below the crossmember. That doesn't sound right. Are you using John's Cars mounts, or did you fab your own? Also if you don't mind, how far down is the bellhousing relative to the trans? Does it hang further down?

One mitigating factor for me is that I'll be making a splitter and trying to get it reasonably close to the ground too, and the intent is to try and make it into a bit of a skid plate as well. That will hang down at least an inch below the bottom of the xmember.

Edited by JMortensen

I have an LS2, but I have a camaro LS1 pan (I changed it). I like a flexible flat black airdam to make loading on the trailer easier ( I smack it ever time). My airdam wouldnt stop a rock. I made my cattle catcher solid and immoveable. Photos when back from welder. The rain FINALLY stopped so I can take him the car.