HybridZ

Stock EFI pump feeding SU Carbs

SlowRob

I have a carb'd 2.8 in my '77z.  I'm using the stock (from the '77) electric pump feeding a bypass regulator and into the carbs.  The stock return for the carbs has been eliminated as the regulator feed the excess back to the tank..  The regulator shunts the pressure to a carb friendly level and I have no issues with too much/little fuel.

Has anybody had experience with this type of setup?  Does anybody suspect I'll have any long term issues with the pump running virtually no-load all the time?

I have a carb'd 2.8 in my '77z.  I'm using the stock (from the '77) electric pump feeding a bypass regulator and into the carbs.  The stock return for the carbs has been eliminated as the regulator feed the excess back to the tank..  The regulator shunts the pressure to a carb friendly level and I have no issues with too much/little fuel.

Has anybody had experience with this type of setup?  Does anybody suspect I'll have any long term issues with the pump running virtually no-load all the time?

Long term issues? The pump should last longer and operate quieter, if you want to call those "issues"...

Edited by Leon

So do you run 32 psi to the regulator that yhen supplies 3psi to the carbs deadheaded?

or

run the regulator downstream of the carbs with the regulator maintaining 3 psi backpressure on the carbs?

I've been running mine the latter since 1985.

When I run into pump issues I'll let you know so you will have plenty of advance warning...

Sending it deadheaded to the carbs you limit flow to the orifice size of the regulator, run more amps on the pump, and give you no longevity over the pump being used in EFI service as the load isn't changed.

Running a backpressure regulator, the lower amp loading of the pump makes a difference on a short-alternator capacity 240!

Edited by Tony D

Neither - It's technically not deadheaded as it's an adjustable bypass regulator.  The carbs are deadhead from the reg, but the varying consumption is accounted for by the regulater; it will allow full volume to the carbs if that's what it takes to maintain the preset pressure.

I hadn't thought about using a standard reg to backpressure the carbs.  Thanks for the tip!

And since the pump is already a Bosch replacement, it sounds like I won't need to worry for a while.