HybridZ

exhaust sound

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was wondering what kind of exhaust setup I should run. Since my 81 280ZX n/a is mostly stock, I was thinking of running 2 1/4" exhaust pipe from the manifold to a 40 series Flowmaster. I would be getting rid of the CAT. I want a good quality V8 sound. How could I achieve this. I also want no droning if I can help it.

Sean, are you going to keep it stock? The 2.25" is fine unless you really bump the horsepower, then a 2.5" or larger would be better. I'm not too keen on knowledge about turbo cars except that the turbo does a good job of quelling a lot of engine noise to begin with, so you may not need a resonator to keep out the droning. With a n/a ride, you really need two sequential mufflers or a muffler and one resonator in an oversized exhaust system. Maybe Drax or Sean from Sac can help you find the sound you are looking for. From what you have described, it should sound pretty darn good to begin with!!

Davy

I have a 2 1/2" aluminized system on my 240 with a single DynoMax Super Turbo. It has a fantastic sound and very reasonable noise level. ESPECIALLY compared to the Flowmaster. Most Dyno tests have the Walker coming out ahead as well. That and they are only $35 from Summit. More and more states are starting visual inspections of emissions controls, so you may want to consider a high flow aftermarket cat and stay legal.

Guest Anonymous

The actual sound has to do with the firing pulses of a V8 as well, this gives it, its much desired (by many any, and I'm one) sound. The inline 6's particularly at high RPM sound pretty good and have that 'sports car sound' just like the old XKE's had.

Can a inline sounds like a V8? IMHO, no, it may be deep sounding, but they have way different resonances to the ear of anyone that know's what each sounds like.

Regards,

Lone

Not much for me to add, except for if you have a L6 why would you want to make it sound like a V8!!! icon_biggrin.gif IMHO (very humble) the only thing that tops an inline 6 for sweet exhaust note is a V12. Don't get me wrong, the V8 sounds AWESOME, but its a different type of awesome. Its kind of like comparing a tiger growling to a pack of dogs barking. icon_wink.gif

If you are mostly stock a 2.25" system should do you nicely. I would recommend getting a single muffler that flows well and putting it as close to the engine as possible, then running a straight pipe after that. (in the trans tunnel is a good spot) This will dampen the resonance typical at 2500rpm, and still leave good flow. If you find thats still too loud just add on another straight through (high flow) muffler in the stock position as well.

Best sounding exhaust next to a ferrari I've heard was a friends BMW 323i with this setup, except his car had dual 3 cylinder headers (on an inline 6) and true 1 7/8" duals all the way back. 9.8:1 compression at 7,000rpm sounds awesome!

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think I will put a resonator as close to the exhaust manifold as I can then I will run 2 1/4" pipe that will lead up to a 40 series Flowmaster muffler and some type of exhaust tip at the end.

Those resonators in the size you're talking can take a fair bit of flow out. IMO you're better of with a good muffler mid-car and a long tip as suggested or muffler near the rear but no resonator on 2.25" pipe. I've yet to have any setup without a drone and I've had resonators up front with mufflers out back and resonator removed etc etc....my 280zx in OEM form had a resonance from ~1800-2300rpm.

Now on the other hand, my fathers 3" large(6" round by 24" plus long?) 'race' type resonator/straight thru works v. nicely with his rear muffler for a stealthy sound that breathes nicely with his Lt1.

Sean I think what Ross is saying is that resonators themselves are usually fairly flow restrictive. You'd likely be better off with a high flow muffler instead of a resonator, but in the tranny tunnel. I would certainly expect that 2 high flow mufflers, 1 in the tranny tunnel, 1 in the stock location should suffice. But if you like it a little throaty, I would try just the 1 in the tunnel first.

FYI, I had a 2.5" exhaust, with just a straight through muffler in the stock location on one of my L24 powered cars. It resonated a bit, and so on, but I drove it for ~25 hours in a day and a half and survived in a 240z with no carpet or sound deadening. icon_biggrin.gif The same setup with the muffler in the tunnel instead of the stock location probably would have been that much more bearable, and with the zx you'll likely have a bit more sound deadening as well, so you'll be fine IMHO.

Guest Anonymous

I don't care how tuff or beefy any 6 cyl sounds....and some people's car sound pretty sweet.....the only way to get a V8 sound is with a V8. It is simple physics. The larger the bore, the deeper the tone. Datsun L6 just won't pull the sound.

sean-the stock 280zxt head pipe is 3" at cat flange.i have all 3" pipe-i put a magnaflow 3" muffler under cat heatshield and used to 90 degree mandrel bends and a chrome tip .for smog check i have a 2.5 " pipe with cat and no muffler.you should run all 3" with a muffler that has no baffles-like a magnaflow or borla-you know what my car sounds like.at 14 psi boost you are running the air flow of a 5.6 liter engine.a good muffler shop can make a 3" pipe with a flange to bolt to stock head pipe.my pipes take about 10 minutes to change when car is on rack.