HybridZ

Crazy Distributor

Randall

So I am almost done with my second l28 build so I am very familiar with these motors. Except this one is being setup for a turbo instead of the triple webers i had on it. I was planning on locking out the stock VR distributor and using it to control timing using MS2. So i have a 280zx distributor from my triple weber setup and i also pulled a distributor from a 76 because i like the long tail coming off of the VR which will make wiring very easy.

So onto the problem, the motor is all buttoned up still on TDC from setting the chain. I go to put my 76 junkyard distributor on  and it is 180 degrees off!!!!! I was almost at a loss for words cause this is my second time at this. (on my first motor build the same thing happened except I had turned the motor after i set the chain so what a thought was TDC was not when i installed the pump) This time i know i did everything correctly so just out of curiosity i grab my 280zx distributor and it points dead on at #1 on the cap!!!!!

How could a distributor be 180 off and another be correct?

Edited by Randall

Well I had to pull it apart anyway to lock the mech advance. The mech advance weights are attached to the offset at the bottom. The top section with the rotor and slots can fit on correctly or out 180 degrees. So I just rotated it 180 and filled the slots with JB Weld and then reassembled.

LOL, "The dizzy was 180* off."

I enjoy reading that every time.

The dizzy doesn't care which way the rotor is pointing, when cylinder #1 is at TDC, just use that tower for your #1 cylinder and install the rest of the wires accordingly, going around the dizzy cap in the correct direction.

The only reason there is a common point for the #1 to be set is for reference to an FSM.

LOL, "The dizzy was 180* off."

I enjoy reading that every time.

The dizzy doesn't care which way the rotor is pointing, when cylinder #1 is at TDC, just use that tower for your #1 cylinder and install the rest of the wires accordingly, going around the dizzy cap in the correct direction.

The only reason there is a common point for the #1 to be set is for reference to an FSM.

I know I was just confused as i did everything by the book this rebuild. Last rebuild i screwed up and it was 180* out from me installing the oil pump wrong so i just moved the wires around like you stated.