HybridZ

Aftermarket A/C units

ejensenok

I am looking for anyone with some experience installing an aftermarket A/C and Heater/defroster like the ones that Old Air Products sells.  Does anyone know if these fit in the space the current A/C & Heater box occupies?  I was going to just buy the A/C component and hook up to the old evaporator, but I don't even know if it is any good and my defroster struggles anyway, so I thought I might just get a complete unit.  The cost for a complete unit with all the engine components is about the same as buying the individual A/C component from Jegs or Summit.  Anyone done this before?

I just recently did this, the kit I ordered was from ebay.  I ordered the hypercool 1.  Fit pretty good, BUT I haven't finished the A/C lines.  I am currently using the factory high line (since it fit on my rb20 compressor), and made a new low side line.

I did this 2 years ago. I went with a vintage air unit (I believe it was the gen 4 mini, I will look at it when I get home.   Anyways, it is a tight fit and I had to make two brackets to secure it. But I am 2 years sweat free in TX heat. 

roro4g63, let me know which model you ended up with to get it to fit.  There are quite a few options and it looks like the "Old Air" and "Vintage Air" are very similar products.  It looks like the Gen IV has the servo motor controls, did you have any issues with the electrical or was it pretty straight forward? 

Thanks,

EJJ

I just recently did this, the kit I ordered was from ebay.  I ordered the hypercool 1.  Fit pretty good, BUT I haven't finished the A/C lines.  I am currently using the factory high line (since it fit on my rb20 compressor), and made a new low side line.

ihiryu, I just googled the Hypercool unit, I haven't seen that model before.  The cost looks pretty good at $750 for a complete kit.  I will look into it more, thanks for the information!

EJJ

Bartman, thanks for the link.  This information is great and really helps me visualize what the install would look like.  Now I just have to do a little more research to determine which unit to buy.  Knowing what size fits and that the VA unit is reliable adds a lot to my confidence in buying a $1200 system.

Thanks

EJJ

• 1 month later...

Sorry. I got real busy with work and kids.

I have the gen4 mini. The electrical was not bad. The install link provided by bartman is informative. I do not have near as much wiring since I redid my electrical.

Also if you can remove the dash, it is recommended. However, I was able to do bit without its removal. Just a Pita to fit brackets.

Good luck with it. Then enjoy the coolness:)

• 4 weeks later...