HybridZ

Turbo compatabity and options

So I've been contemplating going turbo and I've been reading just about every thread on here and ls1tech. I would like to hear from other turbo Ls240-260-280 guys. I've been trying to figure out which manifolds work/don't. Which manifolds need to be heavily modified/slightly. Really any insight to make this project as smooth as possible. If there is a similar thread where all the turbo guys have come together and shared their experiences I apologize in advance.

As I'm sure many of you guys are aware my car was previously turbo charged so a lot of the ground work has been done. 3 bar map sensor, oil pan tapped, holes cut for intercooler piping to name a few. This "should" be relatively easy as far as FI 280z are concerned.

Rear end is bullet proof now! Im already bored with the power.. It never stops i swear. Ive been debating on N/A or FI? I like FI for the big power but N/A is so much simpler and easier to accomplish my 500-550rwhp goal (for now anyways) I just found a complete LS3 intake with the fuel system  for $250 so i might be searching for some l92 heads and just leave it N/A for awhile. That is if i cant find any good info or someone to convence otherwise.

I am in the middle of converting my 385 sbc to a LS2 based set up with LS3 heads and intake, should be interesting. Just got it back together, ported the exhaust side of the heads and installed an EPS 230/242  .600/.605  113 cam with upgraded springs and push rods. I am rethinking porting the intake too.  Good luck with your build.

I am in the middle of converting my 385 sbc to a LS2 based set up with LS3 heads and intake, should be interesting. Just got it back together, ported the exhaust side of the heads and installed an EPS 230/242  .600/.605  113 cam with upgraded springs and push rods. I am rethinking porting the intake too.  Good luck with your build.

I would'nt touch the intake ports they are more than adequate. The exhuast side is what you want to spend the time on. I think im just going to call TSP and order their 250cc heads.. They are pricey but their the best in the business I hear. I talked with them and they said my 228r 590/114lsa should work fine with their heads. Im expecting 450-500 with the new 92mm TB/LS3 intake&fuel and a BAD set of heads! well see what G force can do tunning wise.

I spoke with TSP about some heads yesterday and they wanted almost 4k for fully dressed heads/cam/gaskets/studs.. That's all good and well but I just can't see myself spending 4k for 100rwhp when I know a turbo kit can be made for less and power be in the 550 range

I have spoken to several local builder/racers in the area and they all say the stock LS3 heads and intake are good for 450-500 rwhp, just add cam, springs, pushrods, good bolts or studs and have at it. Far less than 4K.  I did the DOD delete, add cam, springs and pushrods, ported exhaust side only(Myself) on heads, head gaskets and head studs for1400 bucks plus 2200 for a complete LKQ L76 pull out with less than 70K miles.  3600 for a complete motor oil pan o intake, all accessories and harness/ecm.

A bone stock LS3, LS2 or L76 would be a beast with boost!

Edited by Zfan1

I agree that the power can be made for cheaper but I just don't see myself being satisfied for long at 450-500.. Once you go with that higher compression setup your stick with it.. I will probably be dropping it off at powerfab Saturday morning to have a precition 71mm fitted. I'm looking at 520-550 on a low boost tune (plenty of room to grow when I want to build the bottom end) I can have it turn key out the door with custom manifolds/tune/exhuast the whole 9 yards for around 6k

Here Check this one out, He sold his Z so he is not on here as much anymore.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/83656-turbo-round-2/page-5?do=findComment&comment=931773

I would recomend going with at least the precision 7675 over the 71mm. You'll still have pretty quick spool and not choke the motor as much.

Thanks, The more i think about it the more i dont want my exhuast dumping anywhere but the rear of the vehicle. Ive even considered a supercharger becuase of this but really want to stick with a turbo. I really like what this guy has done. I wish i could get someone to duplicate it for me. If not ill try my hand at it but my time is very limited

Look at pictures of his car and study how high his car was. Yours is pretty low and he did almost no street driving once he did the turbo. Be prepared to raise your car if trying to get a big pipe under the diff. I'm having a terrible time trying to really tuck up a 3" system under this car. Mocks up nice and tight then tubing warp from welding screws up the fit. I'm cutting all the spot welds off tomorrow and trying again!

Look at pictures of his car and study how high his car was. Yours is pretty low and he did almost no street driving once he did the turbo. Be prepared to raise your car if trying to get a big pipe under the diff. I'm having a terrible time trying to really tuck up a 3" system under this car. Mocks up nice and tight then tubing warp from welding screws up the fit. I'm cutting all the spot welds off tomorrow and trying again!

I hear you, I guess i should have been more specific. I want to get it past the driver seat. I dont mind dumping it before the diff. If it really came down to it thought i wouldnt mind running 3" all the way to the diff and just re-using my 2.5 bend to rap around the diff. Im not after any crazy numbers or specific track times. I really just want a streetable 500-550 rwhp turbo v8 car that turns some heads and puts you in your seat. My main concern up to this point was finding a way to get the exhuast under the passenger manifold and in between the starter on its way towards the rear of the car.

On another note i just read that thread all the way through and i REALLY like what he did.. the whole setup is super clean and basic... I mean that is literally exactly what im looking for in a turbo setup. I wish to hell he was still on line so i could bug the crap out of him about wherehe got and what all of the materials cost him..

Edited by CrayZ

After looking at it i didnt think there was anyway to get an exhuast pipe to sit higher than the oil pan (in between the manifold and starter) but it looks like it is possible. Im hoping with my car being as low as it is it will still work.

• 2 weeks later...

After looking at it i didnt think there was anyway to get an exhuast pipe to sit higher than the oil pan (in between the manifold and starter) but it looks like it is possible. Im hoping with my car being as low as it is it will still work.

CrayZ,

What part of Houston are you located?  There can't be many white Z's running around and I saw one about a month ago near Fairfield, 290 & Mason area.  It made me want to paint mine white!

CrayZ,

What part of Houston are you located?  There can't be many white Z's running around and I saw one about a month ago near Fairfield, 290 & Mason area.  It made me want to paint mine white!

That was me! I live right around meushke and 290

Sorry to hijack your thread, but your car looked great on the road.  If I ever get my car back on the road, I'll be driving it around the 290/Beltway 8 area.

His car sounds good too and as you mentioned it looks great. It has a really nice stance.

David,

There is a guy in town that can build you anything you want for your turbo set up and he is not super expensive. You may know of them already, the shop is called Specialty Metal Craft and it's off 290 past the belway. The owner's name is John Harrison and they can build anything you need. I would take him some pictures of what you are looking to do and he can give you some sort of idea of what it may cost before you get into it.

He did my frame rails, fuel tank and other modifications as well. I will be taking my car back to him when I have installed the motor to have a dual 3" mandrel bent stainless exhaust made and a custom intake for the air cleaner. There in nothing this guy can't build. Good guy to deal with too.