HybridZ

Buying an ls conversion?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but have always loved z cars. I used to have a 77 2 + 2 but had to get rid of it.  Anyway, I really want to get a pre '77 z car that's been converted to an ls engine. I wouldn't have the means to do the conversion myself likely for a long time, and it seems like it may be a better deal to buy one that's already been converted.  Any idea the price range I'd be looking at?  I know that not a lot of these are sold very often so I'd probably have to search for awhile, but I'd like to know about how much I should plan to spend if I found a good deal.  I wouldn't necessarily care if the body and interior needed work as long as I found a good running car.  Any expertise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Here very simple, a decent early Z , with no rot, Cali car, 10 G's +or-, a healthy LS1 engine w T56 , harness, brain  box 5G's +or-, a rear end 500$ +or-, the kit to do the install 1.5G's +or-, brake up grade 2G's +or-,  A/C 1.5G's +or-, gas tank 300$+or-, headers/exhaust work 700$+or-, sub frame work 1G+or-, suspension upgrade 2G's +or-, radiator upgrade 250$+or-, labor from a few beer cases to 10G's +or-. plus the unknown..........see the picture,  I am sure that others will chime in.  :icon12:

Edited by PLATA

Ive seen a local 280 go for 10k with a ls swap. car wasent anything special. I have about 7.5k into my swap. Keep in mind ive got good deals on just about everything including the car. But i built it myself. Just remember dont buy somebodys head ache...

Indeed. If you do find one have a few people look at it or even see if you can take it to a shop and have them look ot over. If i was going to spend 10+ k on a swap car id make shur it was up to par. Do alot of reading and you will be able to take with you a basic idea of what to look for.

• Like 1

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but have always loved z cars. I used to have a 77 2 + 2 but had to get rid of it.  Anyway, I really want to get a pre '77 z car that's been converted to an ls engine. I wouldn't have the means to do the conversion myself likely for a long time, and it seems like it may be a better deal to buy one that's already been converted.  Any idea the price range I'd be looking at?  I know that not a lot of these are sold very often so I'd probably have to search for awhile, but I'd like to know about how much I should plan to spend if I found a good deal.  I wouldn't necessarily care if the body and interior needed work as long as I found a good running car.  Any expertise is appreciated.

Thanks!

It all boils down to what level of swap was done to the car. There are some that put a 100K plus miles drivetrain from a junk yard and there are some that go all out like gt40rick (he has over $60K in his). I have seen decent LS Z's for under $10K. I think you should be able to find one as long as you are patient. Let someone else lost be your gain as most of us will never get back what we have invested in our builds and wind up loosing our a**. That's why I would not sell mine, I would sell my house first and live in the Z.. LOL

Anyways good luck on your search and if I come accross any LS Z's for sale I will send you a pm.

Thanks 240z72 yeah that whole smog thing was a big part of why I had to get rid of my 77.  It wasn't running right and I didn't have the money to figure out what was wrong.  Once the DMV fees started piling up, it wasn't worth it anymore. 

Alainburan, yeah I've seen a few (old) posts online of people who were selling their cars for much less than they have into them.  I figured if I could find something like that, it would save me some $ and time.  Good point too about the level of swap.  I figure even if I do get a higher mileage transplant, at least everything would be there to swap in another motor or rebuild the one that's there when it comes time.  Anyone know how many miles those engines are usually good for?

alainburon-you'd probably sell your house and your boat, your airplane, your timeshare in Vail, get rid of seven mistresses then sleep in the Z.  That's gonna be a million dollar car!  I got a W2 from the part time job I had just for Z-activities: almost $11,000 last year.  I think it was $9,000 the year before.  Just lost that source of income, so I'm gonna be begging to my wife to finish up.  It adds up quickly, especially if you have to hire out fabrication and if  you work to pay people what their time is really worth.