HybridZ

Alternator

Can I use the stock alternator placement on an LS2 motor and have it fit under the hood of the 240Z without modifications?  I am looking at an Alper Motorsports billet bracket since that is all I am running for now. It does not change the installation placement though.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Zfan1

I couldn't run a stock ls2 gto alternator no matter how much I cut down the ear bracket and the JCI driver side motor mount. (The alternator is longer and there is a screw on the front that will hit on your steering rack) Switched to a ls1 camaro style alternator and it bolted right in. Lots of pictures in my build thread (I think). The stock ls2 alternator bracket is the same as the camaro. The rear bracket is different but is available thru dealer for $9. The gto alternator plug is different so the harnes will need a small mod as well if you swap alternators.

Thanks everybody, I am starting the swap this evening. Hoping to have it all wrapped up within 4-6 weeks. The headers will be custom built 1 7/8" by 3 or 3 1/2" , the guy building them needs to keep the car for a while, that will be the most time consuming.

Edited by Zfan1

Broken Kitty/JCI,

I just pulled the old motor, transmission, almost all the wiring, etc.  My friend is going to help me weld up all the holes in the engine bay and grind the welds down. Then it's paint and wiring, then motor and trans. We picked up a 4L80E case for test fitting, damn it is going to be tight!

If you are doing a drag car, look on the forum for the dude doing the 4.3 V6 swap.  He somehow put his pedals and master cylinders INSIDE the firewall and ran his headers as dump tubes into his fender wells. That is badass and would solve a lot of the fitment issues with routing exhaust around the tranny.  I'm doing my exhaust and it it hard enough to get around the T56.

Heck no!  

This car will be driven everywhere just like my other sbc set up, driven all over town and long hauls on pump gas running 9's in the 1/4. That is the only way to go, anyone can build a dedicated drag car, this will have heat and a/c tp boot...LOL    I know the headers will be a son of a gun to say the least but I got to try...please don't laugh.  I just need a bigger hammer  :)

• 3 months later...

Well found out I maybe screwed as the L76, LS2 with LS3 heads and intake doesn't supposably use the same accessories as a 2005-06 GTO LS2. What I have been told is the L76 out of the Pontiac G8 runs Corvette accessories. The difference is the Vette is 3/4" shorter on all accessories vs the LS2's meaning I will now have to figure out how to mount the alternator. I tried the high side with a new LS1 alternator and it hits the strut tower, low will probably be more of the same.

Hate to have to buy all new accessories...damn!

Question for the LS2 owners using the lower mount with LS1 alternator. How much clearance do you have in the back behind the alternator?  The G8 L76 uses the Corvette short balancer but uses the lower GTO LS2 type alternator bracket/position. The problem is it pulls everything 3/4" of an inch back towards the front of the engine and I do not know if that will work with John's Car Mounts. Anyone have any pictures?