HybridZ

G Nose chrome frame idea

Hypertek

Alright guys, I scored a G nose, that I am excited about.. still haven't found the right car yet. But I like to plan things ahead.

Got an idea on how to do the lens  bought a sheet of lexan from home depot that I will try to shape and trim . Then for the chrome ring, I was thinking about universal molding trim that they sell at auto stores and online http://www.ebay.com/itm/20mm-Chrome-Molding-Trim-dash-door-Side-Roof-VOLKSWAGEN-/290669394937?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43ad3efbf9&vxp=mtr.

I am hoping that with a lil heat manipulation these will be able to conform to the tighter radius bends around the front.

I am trying to figure out what size in MM would work best to match the actual metal frames.

Here is initial measurement of the headlight bucket just to give an idea.

fruhv.jpg

Here is a general idea of what 15mm strip would look like

5cnds3.jpg

20mm

1zcictz.jpg

and 18mm

23vxhjl.jpg

Now from what I see on ebay, 20 and 15 are widely available. 17-18 looks like it is harder to find in that size. Haven't checked local stores, since I would assume ebay and online would be cheaper.

What size do you guys think is close judging from reference pictures? 

2vkhx13.jpg

2zzkr68.jpg

I am hoping the chrome trim will hide the edges. I counter sunk some screws into the lens. I did screw up that front bottom one. With the lexan costing $19, I think I can live with it , once hidden lol. 

58451_10151365498678557_874828172_n.jpg

I gotta clean up the edges a little more. 

Also, after heating and clamping, the lexan does not retain that shape, it still flattens out. I don't know what I am doing wrong here, but seems to be decent when bolted down. But there are a few areas that are spreading out/not sitting flat against the body.

I must not give up!!

• 2 weeks later...

You can bend it over your knee, a bottle, whatever, it would be less than an inch wide, right?

Something around 1/16" thick could have the edges sanded to a nice radius and then polished. It wouldn't have a full dome shape to it but it could still look nice if you do it carefully. I make SS trim this way sometimes and it works well.

Do you have access to a bead roller? You could give the whole strip an arched profile by drawing the shape out on your flat sheet, bead rolling a wide bead between the lines, then cut out and finish.

Another option to get the rolled under edges is using much thinner stainless and hammering over a form. It would have to be a collapsible buck since the part is continuous. Here is some windshield trim pieces I made for a '67 toyota 2000GT using this method.

post-11686-0-23836700-1362607103_thumb.jpg

Thats an idea, thanks. Those windshield trim pieces you made look awesome.

Can I cut the shape out of a flat piece of wood, than make the metal piece just slightly bigger, boit it down, than hammer the edges? 

I think my stainless steel sheet might be a little too thick.

I do got an old filing cabinet a friend gave me, that I can cut up , it is thinner steel. I would have to sand the surface to get to the bare metal, than work on polishing it. 

I wonder if I should get some tin snips or use my autobody air saw