HybridZ

Zinc, ZDDP and camshafts - Does anybody worry about this any more?

NewZed

"racecar tax" = The extra money shops and salespeople charge you for "premium" or "racing grade" parts that are really just off-the-shelf standard parts that happen to be popular or labeled as racing stuff. See also "ricer tax" for similar usage.

Find the distributor that supplies the shops and salespeople, and you can usually avoid the 300% markups for "racecar" stuff...paying the same amount you would for "non-racecar" grade items.

No lie, people, there is a line on the CA Tax form for recovering SALES TAX for "items bought on the internet, out of state and brought into the state, ..."

Luckily Ohio has full reciprocity with CA, and the Tax collected in OH will not be RE-PAID in CA upon registration of the Vehicle there! Oblay EEmay, Aliforniakay!

Good thing I don't buy anything outside the state. Always traveling for work, long days. Never get a chance to shop. Good thing, too! Don't need more accounting headaches!

I did my taxes last month, after moving to NJ (from TX). This included being introduced to NJ state income tax forms. They also had a few lines on there about, "listing everything I bought out of state over X amount, and brought in to the state". 

Using the income tax forms to enforce use tax is interesting. Oh, what do you know. I never bought anything on the internet or from out of state. I really must like NJ.

I'm an M1 fanboy. Their 15w50, HM, and HD Truck oils have more ZDDP than your average 80's oil. Bobistheoilguy.com is a good resource for questions like this. I've been running the M1 5w30HM for 15,000 miles now and have no abnormal wear on my Schneider turbo cam, which supposedly has wear issues with low zinc oils.

The common responses over there for flat tappet engines are M1, VR1, and Amsoil Zrod, and Brad Penn.

• 6 months later...

Found some interesting information on oils and additives as tested at this link.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-256590.html

The post is this year but not fully sure of the year the study was done.......which would mean some might have changed formulation.

I was very surprised to see Castrol GTX 20w50 so high on the list.