HybridZ

AWD Z?????

stony

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I'm not sure about that whole Honda deal. I seem to recall something about an AWD system for Hondas on some rally site a couple years back.

But enough about Hondas; what about the Bluebird! Do they infact share the same rear diff.(r200) as the Z cars? I know the earlier Z's had r180's, but still...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest z1 performance

I'll try to find the article I have here from a recent option or Option 2...it was an S130 with the full Skyline drivetrain and suspension.

The suspension is what had me interested, as I am dying for soemthing substantially better than what I have :)

• 2 weeks later...

BLKMGK, I don't know if anyone other than RobZilla actually looked at your last post but to me that seems like the best idea on the table so far. So let me quote you on this for all those who are thinking of undertaking this task.

ArizonaZ used to sell a complete tube chassis for the Z. IF that were still available or he could be convinced to cough up the plans you'd be way ahead of having to do it from scratch...

Not too mention it would be nice and stiff and lightweight...

Guest JAMIE T

I'm with Datsun Dude. I've been thinking of getting a GTi-R front cut for a Sentra SE-R swap. They are small, narrow cars. The wheel base of the GTi-R is probably close to the Z's 90". Not that would matter on a full tube chassis AWD Zcar. I would definatly gut the body, and cut the whole bottom out of it. Build a new chassis with front wheel drive type front suspension. GTi-R's are the Balls.

Weight distribution would SUCK with a transverse fwd-based setup. The engine would be entirely in front of the front wheels. Doubtful you could fit it, anyway. I kinda wonder if the benefits of even a well done longitudinal-engine awd setup would be enough to compensate for the weight gain and forward c.g. shift (road course usage). Rwd more fun anyway:)

Just bein' my usual nay-saying self!

Guest Anonymous

It would fit--No doubt about that. Your right about weight distribution, though... Although the AWD cars that those motors come out of don't seem to have any weight distribution issues. I think that has alot to do with the fact that those motors are pretty light; you're not so much increasing the forward weight as you are reducing the weight behind the front wheels.

And I understand what your saying about RWD being more fun, on tarmac at least... But when I think about an AWD Z car, I start day-dreaming about boosting dried up river beds and running from Boss Hog, and stuff like that. Granted, the Genral Lee was RWD, but how many vintage muscle car do you see winning rally events... Huh? Yeah, that's right... :roll: