HybridZ

L24 Engine Dimensions

Dershum

I've searched the site, other Z sites, and the interweb high and low, but I've not been able to find these. I'm planning to pick up my engine from the builder over this coming weekend, and was originally intending to simply strap it down to a tire in the back of my truck and drive it home. But since home is about 400 miles from the engine builder, I'm starting to think that putting together a simple crate to more securely move the motor in might be a better idea. That being said, I don't have the engine easily accessible to take these measurements, so I was hoping that someone could help me out. I've put together a little diagram of what dimensions I think I need to make a simple wooden frame to put it in and strap it into for the move.

Oh, and to caveat the motor, it's just the block/head/oil pan/valve cover. Trans and all the various accessories aren't on the block, so it's pretty bare.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

post-22903-0-36486400-1363205977_thumb.png

Strapping it down in the tire (inside an inverted spare for instance) is very stable if you move it to the extreme of the bed and strap securely over the top. The friction of the rubber effectively overcomes most any axial forces that will act upon it (assuming decent tie downs and a good strap.)

For insurance, you can add a second strap to pull it against the tailgate, or front of the bed. For ultimate safety and load equalization you would put it up front in the bed, offset away from the driver. Under even the hardest braking, it won't shift further forward no matter what!

My friend made a 'cradle" from 2X6's that let the engine sit bolt-upright inside resting on the oil pan frame rails (when you look at your diagram, you can see where it would go) other than a simple 2X6 box screwed together to fit the pan, he cut the top right corner out so the oil pump would clear.

Seriously though, I put them in a spare tire and strap them down. Brian Ortiz can attest to that, as can Texis... Houston to LA at 90mph with good straps. I think the spare tire is fine for what you are going to do, just get decent straps and not those cheap nylon 1" "500# rating" specials from Lowes or Harbor Freight. GOOD straps. Pull it DOWN hard, and then as a safety, pull it against the front or rear of the bed. Done it for years, and thousands of miles.