HybridZ

240z...what to do first?

Guest Anonymous

FWIW, here is my suggested list of things to do if the car is running:

1) Brakes (if you want stock ones and they are in good working order, skip this)

2) Tires (notice I didn't say wheels--even if you are changing out the wheels eventually, tires (like brakes) are a safety item.

3) Suspension (handling is very important, especially if the shocks are shot and the anti-sway bar is broken)

4) Engine (this is assuming that it only needs a tuneup, etc.

5) Interior

6) Body

Someplace should be electrical, but I would say to have your car roadworthy, your list of priorities will lend themselves to your particular situation with the car---the car is used and can have any number of things wrong with it. Safety items first, then the fun stuff, IMO.

Good luck with your project! icon_smile.gif

Davy

Guest Anonymous

im sorry i should have clarified my situation better...the car is in perfect running condition, new brakes...i was looking more at performance mods.

I bought my 240z about a year ago. I bought many performance parts until now, but most of them still stay in my room.

The car was good running condition, however, it is more than 30 years old. If you drive the car as transportation I recommend a 280zx alternator and H4 halogen headlights with relay at first. Second, adding some Dynamat is great improovement for comfort.

Now It's the time to put aluminium radiator with twin electric fans, TWM throttle bodies and EFI system icon_wink.gif

Kazu

Guest Anonymous

This stuff doesn't help the dyno #'s but the first thing I bought was suspension. Yes, the car is 30 yrs. old and nothing brings life back like new under pinnings. Energy suspensions bushings throughout, tokico 5 ways, and new Suspension Techniques springs and sway bars. Add in some Z rated 15 inch rubber and VOILA: instant sports car. These mods weren't completely cheap but well worth it and it really brings out the true nature and spirit of the Zcar. They won't add hp but they will help you harness what you have and take care of future engine upgrades. Overall it's easier to create g-forces through corners than in a straight line and alot cheaper to generate... just my .02cents worth... Good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

for suspension bushings and what not, i think its pretty cheap, its the labor that kills me...all the hammering and "lovin" i had to do to get the stuff in, but i loved every moment. I treat my car as if it were a camaro, and replaced the balljoints first thing. thats just me though.

Ken, if you do decide to upgrade the stock motor, MSA does sell cams, headers, and exhaust for better performance. What stinks is that the price of the cam kit is very high in comparison to small block Chevy parts, where you start at 200 hp and go up from there (very easily BTW)! I'll always be a swapper guy, because there is just easy, reliable, power to be had in a V8. You can get nice power out of an L6, but not near the torque and horsepower of a V8. If you like the L6 (and I do too icon_smile.gif), consider the upgrades above and an upgraded ignition--that will give you better mileage, etc. A distributor that that eliminates the points will keep you from the pain of having to adjust them (one of the first things I would do on an L6).

Again, if you have the time, money, and desire, do a Chevy swap with a mild motor and you'll never have to look back.

As an alternative, you can do what Pete suggested and swap in a turbo motor from a 280ZXT. That would be relatively "easy" and stay all Nissan icon_smile.gif Have fun with your "new" car and enjoy the ride!!

Davy