HybridZ

oldzdood

hello guys,

i've got a 77 280 2+2 that i am restoring.  i picked an arbitrary place to start with suspension, struts, tires, rotten rubber parts (sway bar stuff), brakes, tires.  i've brought the engine up to speed and runs great. someone did a half ass job of restoring and let it sit for 10 years.  just fought thru a fuel delivery issue caused by the fuel pressure regulator and gunked up charcoal canister.  my gas tank is shot...no comeback.  does anyone know of a place that sells new gas tanks maybe stainless?  also i have an issue with the turn signals and hazard flasher and/or switch.  i've read a lot on this issue but thought i would ask if anyone has been through a troubleshooting sequence with this.  my hazard was not working before the light signals stopped flashing.  i ordered a new flasher for the signals.  could the switch for the hazard lights be the root of the problems?  should i replace the switch and haz flasher or does cleaning help anything?  in what order should i replace parts?  thanks a lot for any input as you guys have helped me immensely with my work so far.  i have just read previous postings to get ideas.  thanks again.  wait another question:  if your clutch is fried but working what signs do i look for.  i get a low end prominent vibration type rumble when over 55mph.  also leaks a little fluid from tranny/clutch area.  please take pity on my dumb soul as i have a mess going with this little moron car.  the engine is scary tight.  i put new fuel lines and injection, wiring and relays, and vacuum parts on the motor.  got a straight thru exhaust low flow catalytic w/k&n air filter.  only 144k on original.  runs like bat out of hell.  thank god for something right.  other than that it is a rust bucket from hell.

As for your turn signal and hazard lights , check the hazard switch first . If bad , try to clean contacts before replacing . Depends on what type of vibration you are talking about , it could be a lot things like tires , driveshaft , halfshafts , loose components .

hey Domzs,

thanks for response.  i just went through suspension and tires.  the noise is a low frequency vibration coming from tranny area.  i was going to have the tranny rebuilt and a new clutch anyway as they are original so we'll see.  the guy that did the suspension work says the drive train appears fine. i will look at the halfshafts when i figure out what and where they are (laugh) what should i look for and which loose parts are you talking about? i can crawl under and examine. i will pull the haz switch and clean.  let u know what happens.  thx again. (u guys are the best)

On my 260 the turn signals are  disabled when the flasher is turned on. The turn signal circuit is routed through this switch. Unplugging this switch will also disable the turn signals on my car. Not sure if its the same on the 280. Your switch may be the problem.

For the gas tank, you may want to consider a fuel cell. If not I know there is a company somewhere (I want to say in FL) that made a SS tank from scratch that fit in the stock location for a 240z.. They should have the cad and if you give them a few more measurements they can make one for the 280z. The thread was on this site somewhere.

Leaking fluid can be from an aging rear main seal. Is the fluid leaking from the tranny engine or transmission oil?

Edited by BluDestiny

i appreciate all the input guys.  well it turns out the hazard switch was FILTHY and cleaning was all that was needed for the system.  all works: turn signals, hazards and my dash indicator lights are brighter (unless i'm on drugs..hhmm).  so i order the signal flasher for nada.  thanks Domzs!  and thanks bludestiny i will check for the leaks when i crawl under soon.  now remember guys i am an old fart.  i am suffering from TSB.