HybridZ

for those with 240+@.050 duration

Mikelly, and others at wht rpm does your cam become "drivable" in 6th? You mentiond some problems below 2,000, right?

I need to decide quick if a solid roller is the way to go. With the .570+ lift I want, the duration goes WAY up in a solid flat tappet. I can keep 242/248 w/.570 in the roller.

JS

John,

My spec's on my hydraulic roller cam were advertised as 282/294 duration with a 535/550 lift on 110 seperation. The rockers were 1.5. What I found was an inconsistancy in acceleration and throttle response anywhere below 2000 RPMs. Anything above that in 6th gear was fine...except for the fact that I was FLYING... Cruising at 65mph in 6th saw 1650 RPms and it would surge. To get it into a happy state I had to get the RPMs up to 1900-2000 or downshift to 5th.

Mike icon_rolleyes.gif

My 6th is only .62 overdrive. 65 mph is 2000.

we have plenty of 75mph highway which is about 2200. I don't know if that will be high enough rpm to use.

Mike, wouldn't your current cam specs + 6th gear be good for your top end Silver state runs? The rest of the time .74 5th is still a pretty good overdrive.

JS

"What I found was an inconsistancy in acceleration and throttle response anywhere below 2000 RPMs... Cruising at 65mph in 6th saw 1650 RPms and it would surge."

Mike, not to rehash your carbie experience; but did you confirm it was the camshaft directly responsible? ie. not lean at that rpm, not fuel dropout in intake at that rpm etc? Just curious....I recall thinking cam was too big at that rpm but I'm not so convinced now(not that it's your duty to convince me icon_smile.gif), surging at cruise at that rpm just strikes me as a bit odd, I know it's larger lift/duration but cruising is such minimal load on the engine....perhaps with MPFI and ability to tickle timing it would've been quite different?

Ron Isky confirmed it when I told him the trans I was using, and he pulled my data up from the original build (They keep that data from Crate builder special orders) and it was mismarked that the car had a T5, not a T56 in it. His description to me was "I bet that thing bucked like a bronco below 2K, right?" and I just laughed and said "yea, I thought it was fuel delivery..." That was confirmation to me...

Mike