HybridZ

Maximum RPMs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys wussup. i was just cruzin along in my 1980 280zx and i wanted to push it alittle bit, but i was just wondering what is the prefured maximum RPMs on a stock 280zx?

Thx

-Ark

Guest Anonymous

I shift mine between 4500-5000 when I'm just on it, If I'm really racing someone I'll push it to 55 or 6 even, but I only do that when it is a close race and I don't want to lose (and it's rare that I do, even in a crappy NA 280zx)

But, my engine doesn't like to rev past 6, it isn't balanced that well past 6, and even 6 is all the way there, but that is just my car... Each one is different.

Hope this gives you some Idea, I had the same questions when I first got my car going.

Kris

Guest Anonymous

i would have to agree with zgimp. every car is going to be different. i shifted my 280zx around 4500-5k when driving normally and then if racing it was straght to the redline.never had any problems with it either, if i took it to the redline i could feel valve float start to hit but that was it. you'll just have to "listen" to your car and find out what it responds to best.

damn normal driving shifting at 4500-5000 crayz... that would just burn my fuel hehe

normal driving shift at around 3000-3500rpm... even less...

hard driving... shift in 1st at 5500rpm... 2nd at 6000 3rd usually at 6500...

my engine has been balancedm fully rebuilt with oversized pistons, harder valves, so it gets there and pushes power still.. as everyone says every engine is differant... some are built with more reliability and others are bum engines,

Guest Anonymous

see thats the wierd thing zpeed it just liked to be shifted high. once it got past 3k it got nice and smooth..well, smoother i should say. it didn't seem to burn up the gas to me though. then again my previous car had a tendancey to go through a tank of gas in as little as 2 days! icon_eek.gif i loved that car but something was seriously wrong with the carb on that thing.

yer i understand... mine is very smooth after 3000rpm... and work niceless all the way up to redline.. but i usually get 3500 400km for around 35ltrs of fuel..

thats 9.2gallons per 217 - 248 miles.. not sure if thats good or not.. but its better than my sisters 86 toyota corola 4cylinder, and my mums 88 mitsubushi magna 4cylinder, so i'm happy with it...

The cam is going to be the determining factor as far as peak hp goes. You'll start having valve float around 7000 maybe less with old stock springs. My L28 has a totaly stock bottom and I've never had a problem shifting at 7000 or more, I never go above 7500 though. In fact at one of the tracks 5th gear at the end of the long straight is around 7200. Once I had a valve hit a piston knocking the keepers loose dropping the valve, luckily the piston came back up quick enough to bend the valve lodging it in the now broken guide. Only cost me a valve and a guide. In 8 years of road racing this is the only problem I've had. Now I run Schnieder springs and it does pull alot harder on the top. The motors can take quite a bit regardless of what the stock tachs say.