HybridZ

Airbox options

Jesse OBrien

I can't point you to definitive information, because I don't know what you mean by tuning s.u.'s as it relates to airboxes.

If you are talking about performance airbox options, I would suggest either getting a stock airbox with the integrated air horns, or buying air horns from MSA and putting on their K&N filters.

With most motorbike carbs, which is where the bulk of my experience lies, an air filter modification results in a drastic change of how much air is available to the carb. Even drilling extra holes in the airbox on a bike often requires re-jetting. At some point, you'll hit the limit of how much air a carb can accurately meter, and can't tune for any more.

I'm not really discussing performance; this is a bone-stock 2.8 n42 with unknown miles and unknown compression (I just know that it rotates). I just want to get it running as inexpensively and reliably as possible right now. I have an airbox that won't work (square inlet, 3-hole mounting), and the correct stock airbox is prohibitively expensive (I haven't found one on eBay for under $150).

The stock 240Z airbox is a pretty nice piece. If you can make it fit (which is not a given on a LHD car) use the stock backing plate (the holes don't matter, as long as one of them is open it's all good) and stock filter element, and flip the airbox, ducting the opening into the cowl area below the windshield. If you can't make it fit, get a rusty-ish one and cut the front snorkle off, cover the hole up, and duct the back of it out the cowl. This made a BIG difference in how my car drove on hot days back when I was running SU's.

I also sectioned a nice 240Z airbox (I keep kicking myself for this) and ran an open element filter right over the exhaust...bad plan. Car ran like crap on 80* and hotter days. There was much improvement by ducting the filter to the cowl area; although I bet you could run it through the front of the car and use a 280ZXT airbox (mounted infront of the radiator, not sure if the 280Z boxes did or not; never seen a stock one..) and duct that back to the SU airbox, of course you run the filter up in front of the core support.

I bought my last 240Z (you have a 260Z airbox if it's got the square openings) airbox on ebay for 32$ shipped. If I hadn't chopped it up like a fool and ruined it, I'd ship it up to you, I still have it.

Edited by Xnke

Jesse - I have 5 or 6 for under $50.

Sold! To me! One of them, at least. I hadn't looked too carefully at the one I have, and had assumed it'd work. Just let me know when/where you want to meet up, I have another list of parts I need, as it turns out. Now I know where the shop is, just give me a ring whenever it's convenient for you and I'll head down.

Edited by Jesse OBrien