HybridZ

Turbo l28 or swap out for the l28et

I just bought a l28et that includes pretty much everything except for the wiring harness and bell housing for the 5sp transmission. I'm not sure if its running or not but I do know that all the hose and sensors needs to be replace.

Now I'm wondering would it be easier to just swap out the turbo parts and turbo my perfectly running l28 or should I go thru the trouble and install the l28et and risk it not running. I'm planning on getting a different ecu management so I'm not worried about the l28et ecu.

I know this have been ask several time and many have said that the l28et have dished piston. I was wondering if I can do without the dished piston.

Also is the 5sp transmission the same for the l28 and l28et?

Edited by kcat8

What head/block combo do you have with your current L28? Hopefully dished pistons. If you have flat tops its probably worth it to switch.

It's also not terribly hard to disassemble the block and inspect the bottom end. If everything checks out all you have to do is reassemble.

Honestly if you are going with an aftermarket ecu then it shouldn't matter much. Just turbo the engine you have if it's in good running order. 

Agreed, the differences in compression aren't a huge deal, just back off timing a bit.

its a 78 280z and i honestly dont know if it have flat tops or not. i just purchased my z a month ago and i have never worked on an engine before. I would say i am pretty mechanically capable, but i just never worked on an engine at that capacity before so im a bit intimidated by it. 

how would i go about checking to see if it  have flat top pistons.

Since you can't necessarily trust the block stamping (yours should be an N42) to tell you what pistons it has (somebody could have swapped them out), an easy method is to take out a spark plug and shine a flashlight in the hole to get a look at the top of the piston. A dished piston should look something like this: http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/attachments/open-zcar-discussion/14412d1159747766-forged-dish-8-1-turbo-pistons-datsun-nissan-l28-pistons-007.jpg

And of course a flat top piston will have a flat top :)