HybridZ

Need help, Can't start the car..

So I bought the car that didn't ran for over a year, now I am trying to get it running and I am stuck and need your help.

So I have a 280z shell with 240z wiring and 280z engine with SU Carbs, car cranks but won't start.

post-38967-0-49648500-1367800479_thumb.jpg

post-38967-0-01693500-1367800519_thumb.jpg

post-38967-0-10208500-1367800526_thumb.jpg

Three things to check for that is required to run. Spray Carburetor cleaner into the intake to (as close as possible to the throttle body) then crank. You will determine whether you just have a fuel problem or not.  Personally I undo a vacuum line spray carb cleaner down into the intake directly then reconnect the line. Then I crank to see if it fires.

You may want to dowload the injector trouble shooting manual . I did dl in this forum somewhere but forgot where. You can run test on all most all sensors and circuits. At least you find that you have no spark. My Z has everything " ON" but won't start.

That picture that I just took. I messed with it cuz I wanted to try to see if HEI GM module would work, but didn't do anything.

Are you saying it looks like that now?  You did that?  It looks terrible.

If your distributor works, the GM HEI module is pretty easy to wire up.   If you have an HEI module, a good distributor and a good coil, you could have spark in about 20 minutes.  But if you wire it up like your picture, you'll probably short something and damage it pretty quick.  That old module in your picture might already be damaged.  The HEI module might already be damaged.  They have to be wired correctly with no shorts to ground, from the beginning.  They're sensitive.

No spark, no start, so you might as well focus on that before you do anything else.

That black box is transistor ign. That previous owner hard wired because 240z wiring never came with one and since I have 280z distributor it needs it, how do I check if my distributor is working? plus it doesn't have ballast

Sounds like you know what you've got to do. I'm not sure I'd even try to deal with someone else's frakup. 

You might look at just finding a 240Z distrib to get the car running THEN swap to HEI or whatever system you prefer.  

You need 3 things to start: Fuel, Spark, Air.  You swapped the Fuel pump, so pull the hose at the carbs and verify you have fuel flow.  You already figured you don't have spark, so swapping in a 240z distrib, or finding the "pointless" ign distributor upgrade thread on here, you should be able to iron out the spark issue. Air is a no brainer, you're carb'd so throttle open you've got air.  The "burping" started fluid could mean the timing was off. I'd suggest you verify it.   Plug order is 153624 counterclockwise.

Ok here is an update, hopefully you guys can help me even more..

I connected back the transistor ign. the way it was suppose to be but there was no ballast.

So apparently I skipped on plug order a little, my 1 on distributor was on 5, so the car started but rpm went all the way up, I right away turn off the ignition and it was still running so ran out of the car and unplugged battery cable from the battery and it turned off.. 

Edited by MudflapE