HybridZ

LS motor is hard on the old chassis

• 2 weeks later...

After a full track day with R6s on a track with 16 numbered corners and 40' of elevation change that completely cooked my brakes, and (9) 1-minute autocross laps with A6s on a very bumpy course, both rear gland nuts loosened and required tightening.  Otherwise, all other marked fasteners have remained tight.  Johnc has me hooked up with a better pipe wrench for tightening up the gland nuts - interesting that the front gland nuts haven't loosened when the same guy torqued all four on the same day.

Really enjoy your posts.  Your experience with brakes on the track is leading me to electric blower forcing air on the disk brakes.  Also looking for squirrel cage blowers that can force-ably extract heat from the engine compartment.  What is the secret wrench used to torque the gland nuts on the struts?  Please advise.  Thanks.

2' long pipe wrench. I got mine from Harbor Freight. Johnc got his from McMaster Carr. I had been using my longest channel lock pliers. I got another 1/2 turn of tightening with the pipe wrench. How tight?-I dunno, as tight as I dared. The pipe wrench bites into the gland nut a bit.

Pipe wrench for the win. Ive had to use a full on torch (oxy/set) to heat the gland nut area on the tube to remove it on some resto. projects. Im about to dive under the car to check on my nuts and bolts. Ill post if i find anything. 

Ran into the same problem When I went over my suspension a couple weeks ago. I put some thread tape around the gland nut and tightened the hell out of it with the biggest pipe wrench I had.

Edited by CrayZ

I think it depends on if you have a 240 body or a 280 body. My 280 has a front strut tower brace that also ties to the firewall, a 4 point roll bar, and a triangular shaped rear strut tower brace. I just went through my entire suspension and drive train for the first time in 10 years - and 35,000 miles - and only 2-3 bolts took about a half turn. That includes several trips to a drag strip, two hours of running at Texas Motor Speedway, a day of running hill climbs on an asphalt road and the normal "spirited" driving when I'm driving the car anywhere. The only real issue I've had is that I'll lose the seal on my windshield for a while after some "sprited" driving. That was a hassle in Texas but not in Yakima, WA.