HybridZ

280z 5 speed swap into a 240 question

auxilary

I just picked up a freebie 5 speed out of a mark 1 280z (at least i hope it's a 5 speed - it measured longer than the 4 speed next to it!). Now, question is this: do I need to replace the drive shaft? The difference

between the 4 speed and 5 bellhousing/shifter end is about 1.75-2 inches in length. Can I use a stock '73 240 driveshaft without repositioning

anything?

Still new to stock datsun internals on some levels, and I picked this up for practicing installing a tranny, since all stock internals will eventually go away to be replaced by a chevy combo.

Thanks,

-alex

• 3 weeks later...

Yes you need to get the 5-speed drive shaft. The 4-speed drive shaft will not work. Most everything after that is drop in. You may need to look at the site to find out if you have the right color gear in the transmission for the speedo. Depending on other mods you have on the car, it may take a different one. Most of the big sites have info on. Good luck. 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

What year model was the 240?

I swapped an '81 trans into my '73 and had to change nothing. I have heard that the very early 4-speeds were shorter that the later ones. This must be the case on yours.

Guest Anonymous

ok i dont know about the 4 speed drive shaft and the auto but my 73 240 had a auto in it and i put my 82 280zx 5 speed right in no prob i had to change the peddles and install my own slave and clutch lines but i used the drive shaft that was in there i did not mesure it so i couldent tell you if there was a dif but it worked

I just changed my '76 Automatic over to a '81 5 speed and the drive shaft is longer on the automatic which, if memory serves me right, is the same length as a 4 speed drive shaft. You should get the 5 speed drive shaft or have your current one shortened. If you get a Chilton's or Haynes, though they don't tell you much, they will tell the drive shaft length differences.