HybridZ

Nuts for Turbo manifold and down pipe

Wondering what nuts, or nuts and washers everyone is using to bolt there turbo to the exhaust manifold? Are you used anything special, do you use a lock washer.

I removed my turbo and down pipe today to get the turbo inspected and rebuilt. 3 of the 4 nuts were on the loose side and 2 of the down pipes nuts were loose. 

When I re-install want to make sure that they stay tight.

You will have to keep up on them for a bit after the first few good heat cycles. Even with the locking tabs, I end up torquing them after the first hard drive, then again a few days later, then a week later...then they finally stay tight and I fold the locking tabs over.

I have had good luck with the long, brass nuts parts stores sell even on 4cyl applications. They are 3/8" and probably 7/8" long. You must retorque them a couple times though. They never gaul or break studs coming apart too.

Locking tabs or safety wire or other mechanical locks are the way to go if you want to it to work every time.

Running no gasket helps too. As gaskets settle or start to burn they seem to let the hardware loosen up. I get the manifold and turbine housing as flat as possible by block sanding and use a little copper spray to help seal any small imperfections.