HybridZ

quick ring gap question

PapaSmurf

And I got news or ya: reusing your pistons is not optimal for ring life, and any aftermarket ring is crap compared to the original OE Nissan rings...so you are already well down the road compromising things which have a FAR greater affect on longevity than a 0.005" ring gap anomaly.

Your ring WILL NOT last as long as the rings you took out.

We're I you, I'd run the old stock Nissan rings with a new oil control ring!

I've got well over 300,000 miles on my 80 L28, with 185 psi compression...compression rings last forever, oil controls lose tension and stick. These will too, and the compression rings won't last as long as what you're taking out and throwing away.

That's just the facts.

Thanks for clearing it up for me tony I just want to do it right the first time :) unfortunately I can't reuse the stock rings they are fairly brittle one broke when I removed it I was trying to measure the old ring gaps to get a better idea of where I stood with the new set ugh I'll use these then. The pistons seem to be in great shape I measured the ring lands and they don't seem to be worn or damaged at all. From the stock is better mentality why would I want to buy an expensive set of new pistons that will likely be of inferior quality. That's what I'll tell myself for now at least as I don't have the money to throw down for new ones. I guess I'll have to replace them eventually with concave ones anyways if I ever want to go turbo. Buying a new set of pistons would force the choice of turbo or n/a with this p79. So this build really only needs to last me 10k miles at most I only tore it down to get the block decked and I became side tracked and forgot my objective.maybe I am obsessing over silly details. This is my first complete tear down so I just wanted to question myself as much as possible as usual my natural instincts and assumptions are incorrect ha

"maybe I am obsessing over silly details."

At this point, I would say yes.

The first assumption which was wrong was wanting minimum tolerance on the ring gap. That is EXACTLY OPPOSITE what you want!

Like the Pontiac Ad: "Wider is Better"