HybridZ

Modified Competition Hood Scoop

Nigel

I've had the competition hood scoop on my Z for a couple of years now (here's a link to my album of the install: http://www.motortopia.com/album/28569). I mostly like the looks of it, but was never pleased with how angular the nose is. It doesn't match the contours of the hood's original power bulge at all. So, I decided to gamble and hand the vent off to a guy I know with decades of fiberglass experience (custom yacht builder) to reshape the front of the vent. I finally got a look at the progress yesterday. Overall, I think he's done a great job. The only thing I've asked him to do is add a bit of material to the very front so that it come to more of a point where it meets the hood. 

20130601_103249.jpg

20130601_102850.jpg

20130601_103404.jpg

On a side note, he was concerned about the fact that the vent has no support through the length and believes it will sag in the middle over time. I suggested glassing in a support on the underside along the length of the vent. But he was concerned that the support will eventually distort the top. Given his experience with fiberglass, I'm sure he's right on both counts. After talking it over, I'm going to weld in a rod that goes from the front to the back of the cutout in the hood, and possibly from side to side like a + sign. In the middle of that I'll weld in a threaded block that I can put a height adjustable rubber bumper on, like the bumpers that support the rear corners of the hood.

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...