HybridZ

Has anyone tried the Speedway LS1 header kit?

I definitely think you got a deal on that one.

I hope to have mine finished this weekend. It would be great if there was a local LS guy with JCI mounts that would want to collaberate on some headers. There are a lot of challenges in getting these right. Shoot me some pics, we'll see what we can do.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished the primaries on the passengers side last night and the drivers side tonight. I had to put a miter in the primary closest to the mount on each side, I'm debating trying to bend a short piece of tube at work next week. It would look better for the pictures but since I'm going to have to wrap them it probably doesn't matter. The first one on the drivers side sticks out a little more than I like but my steering shaft won't let me tighten it up any more.

I'll get the primaries on the drivers side cut to length tomorrow. The drivers side was a little easier than I expected, mostly becaues I offset the engine to the passengers side a pretty fair amount.

Looks like I may have to rethink my 5" ride height!

I think I have about 12-14 hours into these right now and probably another 6 to 8 to complete.

post-33376-0-54941100-1373780912_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-09304100-1373780932_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-41828000-1373780948_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-96500400-1373780969_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-71958000-1373780985_thumb.jpg

Thanks Matt, I got my wrap yesterday and should finish them this weekend. Management at work has had the nerve to have me do stuff for them so I haven't been able to tig out the drivers side this week, I'll probably just have to mig them at home. I'll take some pics once welded and after wrapping.

The passengers side turned out to be pretty equal length at about 27" before the collector, the drivers side primaries ended up at 36" for the longest and 24" for the shortest. I probably could have made them equal length if wanted to get crazy with some additional bends but I've read that you only lose a couple hp for unequal length and the way I ran them I can use my stock brake lines

I would like to build a set for someone with JCI mounts if there is someone local that wouldn't mind helping.

All in all the kit was a pretty good start and I really didn't have much trouble adapting what was there to fit my Z. I probably have a leg up on most guys by being involved in the pipefitting trade for a long time but I think anyone with some welding and fabricating skills could build these. The biggest pita was holding the pieces and trying to measure or tack weld.

My wrapping job is ugly enough to be a modern art masterpiece but it's all done but the itching (fiberglass).

It's definetly a tight fit and I may have contact at the subframe on the passengers side, I had about a quarter inch before wrapping. It took me about an hour to put in 8 motor mount bolts and I'm pretty sure I can get the starter in.

I still need to figure out what kind of exhaust flange to weld on to the collector reducer but I should be able to do that with the headers installed and I also forgot to layout the O2 bungs while I was building them so that will be another under the car weld.

I'm probably around 25 hours and $300 for these.

post-33376-0-77499700-1374500788_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-21624700-1374500831_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-68272900-1374500876_thumb.jpg

Thanks Matt, last weekend was supposed to be an all out garage jam but between me being sick and my wife changing my plans I only managed a solid 10 hours.

The speedway kit is a pretty good start, I think building them with a bunch of bends would have been harder. Having to work within what was supplied narrowed down the options and kept me moving towards finishing.

• 3 weeks later...