HybridZ

removing all smog equipment

Guest bang847

Guest bang847

has anyone ever removed all the smog equipment from their l24 block? i wanted to remove the air pump and all related stuff...

was thinking of plugging the holes on the head with a allen set screw? is that a good idea? will the engine suffer? I hate looking at the rusted smog stuff...

Guest timhypo

The 240 I just bought has the air pump disconnected and the hoses plugged with big bolts and it ran OK for the two minutes we ran it before I loaded it onto the trailer. I am curious to see what the folks on here that are wiser than I have to say though...

Guest bang847

Tim, didnt a 73 come with the flat top carbs? anyways.. I cant figure out my car... It is a 70 actually.. it has the original block and E31 head (I think) but i dont think this year of Z should have that much smog stuff... i got a stick welder but it is a sears and i dont know how to weld yet. anyways any other thoughts about this?

I pulled all the air pump stuff off my current car and my last. (My first was a '73 with round body carbs and the emissions stuff was already gone) I was having trouble with backfires on decelleration which was a result of the air pump. It is a bear to get all the fittings out of the manifold, but possible. I plugged them with brass plugs.

I got rid of all the smog stuff on my '73 daily driver. Sold the pump for $50 too. I disconnected all the egr tubes on the exhaust manifold (PITA...all rusted), and couldn't find the correct size/thread plugs (didn't look too hard), so I just welded up the holes where the egr tubes bolted into the manifold. Then I got some vaccuum plugs from the parts store (a bolt in the end of a rubber vaccuum line works just as well, but looks crappy), and plugged all the vaccuum ports which were made 'obsolete'.

I also plugged the water line going into the inlet manifold as I figured this was to keep them warm, and as we all know, the colder the inlet charge the better.

Anyway, no harm to the engine operation, just hope the smog Nazis don't look cuss.gifnono.giffmad.gif

Tim