HybridZ

Stroker 383 oilpans

I'd talk to Canton, they make a top notch piece IMO. Has dynoed a direct 25ft-lb torque gain by a local anal eng. builder just by switching pans. He's not a fan of any others. Sorry I don't have contact info for them but I do have an eastcoast friend with good pricing. I had one but never got to installing it as it had less clearance to my xmember than a stock pan (Lt1 pan I tried). Roadracers like'em.

Here's the Canton pan Ross is talking about. http://cmfilters.com/pr_source/pr_15240.html

Canton Racing Products

232 Branford Road

North Branford, CT 06471

Parts Ordering 203-481-9460 Tech Support 203-481-9943

Fax 203-481-9641

That pan is made for C1 through C4 vettes, meaning different models for old to new small blocks. This pan is THE ticket for road racing, as far as I've heard. Nice thing about it is that it is 7" deep instead of 7.5" like the OE pan. I think they may have a 6.5" deep version also.

Note that if you run block huggers and the pipes come straight down off the collector flange, you will hit this pan's kickouts. But I've seen a pic of someone (here?) with a V8Z and one of these pans and I think they used blockhuggers, but ran the exhaust away from the pan.

Pete, I was looking at a similar styled pan and was wondering if the side kickouts would interfere with the exhaust or anything else under the Z? I always wanted one of these styled pans because I can get 7 quarts of liquid gold in there as opposed to just 6. ANyone we know that currently runs this style of pan their Z with pics? Just curious.

Davy

I got their catalog, and made a template of the footprint of the bottom of that pan. I held it up to mine and I think it'd be quite easy to mount that pan and then run exhaust around it with room to spare using block huggers. I sure wish I'd done that pan first, and then built my exhaust.

I've got lots of pics of the pan. The detriment in my install was not kickout width (although a consideration) but the depth of the pan itself. In a 70-78 Z where it's not as tight to the Xmember it might be a non-issue. 4th gen fbodies have a crossover pipe so they only end up passing the kickouts on one side. Starter access must be tighter.

Sure a thing of beauty inside...I didn't take near as many pics of my aluminum heads. Somehow that gold irridite (or whatever) finish had me transfixed icon_rolleyes.gif

I measured the bottom profile and passed it on to Pete as well AIR (he might be able to find it faster than me icon_sad.gif )