HybridZ

Turbo swap running well but can't get coolant temp gauge to work?

Ok guys, I've got my turbo swap running well (83 L28ET into a 1975 280Z) and everything works except for my coolant temp gauge. Right now I have the coolant temp sending unit hooked up to one of the wires in the L28ET harness and the yellow wire from the stock gauge running to the yellow wire in the L28ET harness.

The coolant sending unit is brand new, and I know the wire running to the gauge has continuity because the gauge will max out if I ground the wire.

Any ideas? I hate driving it much until I know that it's not running hot.

Thanks!

Matt

Ok guys, I've got my turbo swap running well (83 L28ET into a 1975 280Z) and everything works except for my coolant temp gauge. Right now I have the coolant temp sending unit hooked up to one of the wires in the L28ET harness and the yellow wire from the stock gauge running to the yellow wire in the L28ET harness. The coolant sending unit is brand new, and I know the wire running to the gauge has continuity because the gauge will max out if I ground the wire. Any ideas? I hate driving it much until I know that it's not running hot. Thanks! Matt

Well, that sounds right...  Yellow on the L28ET harness (female bullet (in it's stock form) up near the CAS connector) runs to "connector (plug) 3" that comes out of the stock ECCS harness near the ECU.  Run the Yellow from there into the Temp Gauge signal wire in the dash harness. 

You're sure it's connected to the temperature sender, not the thermotime switch?  (didn't buy a thermotime switch instead of a temperature sender did you?)  Just a thought...  Easy to test.  The sender will show resistance if you connect an Ohm meter between the post (male bullet) and the body or the tstat housing.  The thermotime switch will show an open circuit if you do the same thing.  It's a switch that's only "made" if that sensor is really hot.  Your swap probably has no use for the thermotime switch unless you're using the aux. cooling fan ("hair dryer") and it's controller on the injectors.

Oh, the FSM shows the resistance values for specific temperatures and how to test the temperature sender.

Edited by cgsheen