HybridZ

flywheel installation engine support ideas

PapaSmurf

Hey guys so I've finished my l6 rebuild and now its time to take it the engine stand and get the flywheel off. I was curious does everyone just set it on the ground for this part as I've always done in the past or does anyone have any alternatives? I just got this oil pan all painted up and pretty it would be a shame to scratch and dent it. I thought about building some sort of side mount and bolting it on to the motor mount location has anyone done this? Not sure how well this would work. I'm mostly thinking about next time I'll probably pile up some 2x4s and support it that way for now but I was just curious if anyone had a better way

Well the flywheel is removed I just picked up a 150psi compressor and impact wrench yesterday but I'm not sure how much oomph it has if I'm gonna torque it down to the factory spec and prevent the crank from turning that may not work I made a brace for the flywheel to keep it from spinning on removal but it needs the ground to work

Well the flywheel is removed I just picked up a 150psi compressor and impact wrench yesterday but I'm not sure how much oomph it has if I'm gonna torque it down to the factory spec and prevent the crank from turning that may not work I made a brace for the flywheel to keep it from spinning on removal but it needs the ground to work

If I'm reading this right, I feel like I should mention that it's not a good idea to use an impact wrench to torque the flywheel down.  You need a real torque wrench for this.  

Also - here's the secret for torquing the flywheel down...  Thread some longer than otherwise needed bolts (with the proper thread pitch of course) into two of the pressure plate bolt holes, and run a breaker bar between them to provide the counter torque.

Tim has the answer to getting the flywheel held in place for torquing it. 

I typically lower the engine down onto an old tire or two centering the oil pan in the hole. It still has some weight supported by the lift, but this keeps it from swinging around without getting scraped up. 

Thanks guys I like the tire idea too. Got a hose for the air compressor today and the impact wrench is a joke anyways I figured it would be weak but I thought could at least get it started and use a torque wrench to get it down the rest of the way no real point though this thing can't even get the lugs off my tires. I'll just prop it up in a tire and use my brace and incredible manly (puney) arms and a torque wrench + long ass pipe maybe I'll get the wife to sit on top so it stays in place

Edited by PapaSmurf