HybridZ

MS2 on a 280Z non-turbo

slt5103

I'm new to the Forum and looking for help with the set-up for a MS2 on a L28 na.  The distributor has been locked. The ECU was set-up for Hall/Optical because the service rep thought incorrectly that my distributor was CAS.  I could reconfigure for VR input however I have tried something I read on line and that was to wire the VR signal to a 4pin GM electronic ignition module to convert the AC VR signal to the square pulse the MS2 Hall needs.  I have RPM when cranking.  I have fire at the coil output.  The car will start but the timing is way off.  Has anyone setup the L28 na that would share their MS2 configuation?

The goal is to get the number shown in MegaSquirt to match the number shown by your timing light.  Assuming that the number shown by your light is correct (damper pulley mark and TDC correct).  Pretty sure those two links I posted give detailed instructions.  Try any number and see what you get, then adjust accordingly.  I've never actually set a trigger angle, don't have Megasquirt.  Good luck.

Thanks for the replys.  I'm going to bail on the GM HEI and move to a trigger wheel with a Hall sensor.  I've read this will improve timing and provide a quality square wave to Megasquirt.  Anyone running the DIYautotune trigger wheel and hall senor with MS2 V3 setup for hall/opto?

Honestly, I think you're best off using what you have. There's no reason why it won't work unless the distributor is bad.

You never mentioned what distributor you are using, I think there's two or three different VR distributors for the Z, I've only had experience using the kind found on a 75-76 280z (the ignitor and conditioner is located under the dash, not part of the distributor like they started using with the 280zx). With that distributor my trigger angle was around 15°. Normally a trigger angle that low is a bad thing, but when it's under 20° MS goes into next cylinder firing mode. Instead of calculating the firing angle for the current cylinder, it will calculate it for the next cylinder and everything works as it should.

So what you should do is get out a timing light lock your timing to 10° and start adjusting the trigger angle until your timing light reads 10°. Report back here what you find and I can help you out some more.

As for the DIY 36-1 wheel, it doesn't look like it would work on an L28's crank/pulley, the bolt pattern and the size of everything is just too far off. If you want a crank wheel you can see how a few of us have modified the '81 L28et's wheel for use with megasquirt here. You could also try mounting a ford EDIS 36-1 wheel on your pulley, there's various threads around here on how to do it.

... I have RPM when cranking.  I have fire at the coil output.  The car will start but the timing is way off.

Why would you "bail" on the GM HEI if you have all of this?  You'll be fixing a problem that you don't have, and the original problem will still be there.