HybridZ

Upper Wiper Cowl / Top Grille Removal

Trying to remove the upper wiper cowl / top grille, following the manual and still not successful. 

I skimmed over the web with searches couldn't find anything that differs from the service manual's instructions, which are not helping me.

I removed the 4 screws as instructed, along with the inspection lids and Wipers. Now according to the manual I am supposed to just "lift the front and pull away from the windshield". However, there does not feel like there is any leeway to do so at all. Like there are more screws or bolts somewhere? I see bits along the rear end of the wiper cowl leading into under the windsheild, are these clips? Prying away from the windshield feels like it requires much more elbow grease than I am comforatble with...

Nope, you're doing the right thing, just pry harder. First get the front edge where the screws were pryed UP and over the lip that is immediately in front of it, then pull it forward to release the five tabs that are in the slots under the windshield. Nothing fancy there, just flat tabs poked straight in. Good luck.

Its not standard but quite possible someone has placed extra screws hidden under the fenders? Usually the screws on the front are the only ones but I think you are right to be cautious.

A couple more points:

I replaced my panel with a fibre glass version with the grill removed. This was my cheap solution to solve a leaky windscreen plenum. Did the trick nicely. Also saved about 4 pounds off the original panel.

You finished your last post with "mate" I was a little surprised to see that from someone located in Florida. Are you an Aussie or is "mate" becoming an international word these days?

Its not standard but quite possible someone has placed extra screws hidden under the fenders? Usually the screws on the front are the only ones but I think you are right to be cautious.

A couple more points:

I replaced my panel with a fibre glass version with the grill removed. This was my cheap solution to solve a leaky windscreen plenum. Did the trick nicely. Also saved about 4 pounds off the original panel.

You finished your last post with "mate" I was a little surprised to see that from someone located in Florida. Are you an Aussie or is "mate" becoming an international word these days?

Yes i'm an Aussie, moved here in 2008 for university. You are in Brissy? My folks just moved there, dam the bloody maroons.

There is definitely no more give in moving the thing after removing the 4 screws along the front and lifting it over the hood lip... There must be more screws underneath in it from the PO but where would tha bastard have put them? you cant access under the top cowl through the firewall, I am so stumped... None of the service manuals from any of the S30 series differ from each other in the process of removing the cowl... Will have at it again in the garage now... 

There is definitely no more give in moving the thing after removing the 4 screws along the front and lifting it over the hood lip... There must be more screws underneath in it from the PO but where would tha bastard have put them? you cant access under the top cowl through the firewall, I am so stumped... None of the service manuals from any of the S30 series differ from each other in the process of removing the cowl... Will have at it again in the garage now... 

There is no other flange on the cowl to put a screw through - not in a hidden location anyway.  It's just the flange in front and the mounting tabs (that poke out the back) that normally fit into the plastic bits under the windshield.  Every FSM from 70-78 literally says: "Remove the screws, pull the cowl forward" to remove.

Now what other people may have done to the cowl over the years is a different story.  (Or, are the tabs on the back of the cowl just painted over so heavily that they're "glued" to the windshield frame...)

I lost my patience, turned green and just ripped it off. Behold layers and layers of industrial double sided outdoor tape... 

Heat gunned the other side and it slipped right off as per the manuals say, but still bent up the other end... 

Lucky the cowl is cheap on ebay... 

*arnold voice*

Thanks fowa the help und advices !