HybridZ

73 240 want to drop L28 FI from 81-82ZX

Guest EXplicit

Guest EXplicit

hey guys,

just bought a 73 240 and not to familiar with the zs. Anyway how hard would it be to put in a L28 FI NA from a 81-82ZX. I think they bolt in right? My main concern is the FI part. what do I need to get it to work? Will the wiring be difficult? Im dropping the L28 because it was given to me for free actually I have the whole car and it runs but I like the 73 looks better and I will drop a V8 in it later down the road. Ive been working on my DSM for years but the Z is new to me so any more websites or informative pages you could give would be appreciated-thanks

Guest EXplicit

one more ? I just read something about swaping heads to get higher compression 10.4 is what I read. Do you think its a good idea? any draw backs?-thanks

Probably as much power could be made with a modified N42 head as with either of the high compression producing 240 heads. I'd continue in your original vein with the swap of the stock fuelie motor into your car with intake and exhaust upgrades.

You will need to get the wiring harness to include the computer and all sensors. The engine, it self is a drop in. Wiring is another problem. If you are good at it, it will not take you long. If you are not, find someone who is and have them help you. Or you can go to carbs and save yourself a lot of work. A good head to use is the P-90 head. cheers.gif

280ZX block (flat-top pistons) and N42 head from a '75-'77 280Z (small combustion chambers, only the '70-'71 E31's are smaller) is the hot ticket. 9.8:1 compression ratio. That E31 head would get you to 10.2:1 compression, but it's got smaller valves than the N42, AND you'd have to notch the intake ports to use FI.

'72 240Z E88 head has same size chambers as the N42, BTW.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EXplicit
Originally posted by RedNeckZ:

Or you can go to carbs and save yourself a lot of work. A good head to use is the P-90 head. cheers.gif

Well I just got done looking at the efi and dont think its worth the extra work,Im going to go with the carb set up. From what I can think of I need an intake from a 280z an intake gasket from the 280zx. The zx fuel pump... Anything else you guys can think of? Any advice would be great-thanks

If you use a ZX fuel pump you will need an adjustable pressure regulator to get your fuel pressure down to ~4psi for carbs. Also, I think you will need a 240 or 260 intake, not a 280. I would suggest SU carbs - easy to setup and they work great as long as the throttle shafts are not worn.

Another thing I suggest is some sort of fuel pump cutoff in the event of a crash. I have my fuel pump relay switched by an oil pressure switch. Write back if you need more details.

btw I have a L28 with SUs in a 71 240 and I love it.

If you're still thinking about going turbo I can help with wiring. I've done the swap into my `73. I haven't run the car down the 1/4mile yet, but am expecting mid 13's, and it's just a little L24 with a P90 head on it.

Snewlook.jpg

I'm thinking of putting together a detailed PC CD-ROM with information, pictures and possibly videos and selling them cheaply. Would also contain info on getting more horse power out of your turbo L6. Think people would be interested? You might be surprised that it is easier to tune and keep in tune a FI setup than carbs. Being in the high 12's in the 1/4 are possible with no internal engine mods with a well setup stock turbo system.

Guest EXplicit

Well I got the motor out,tranny,and the wiring harness so Im going with the efi. If I cant get it to work Ill go with the carbs. More ?s though

I read that the zx 5speed will not bolt in is this true? :(

Can I use the zx fuel tank? if not what year do I need for the efi to work?

Im sure Ill have more questions for you guys-thanks for the reaplies hail.gif

5spd will bolt right in, no problems.

Tank is totally different. Get one from a `75 280Z, or move your fuel pickup to where the drain plug is, or use a small tank to feed off of.

Check out the wiring diagram in the haynes manual, trace the wires that get plugged in under the dash, and there are a couple wires that go over to the passenger side of the car (near the battery) that need + power given to them.