HybridZ

Injector Tip Differences

ryan95i4

I began my haltech install yesterday by removing all the stock wiring and computer, and then moved on to the fuel system.

I have stock turbo injectors in the car currently and had bought 50lb injectors to replace them with.  What i didnt realize was the difference in the injector tips.

Heres a picture to show what i mean:

The two injectors on the outside are the stock injectors.  The two injectors in the middle are the new injectors (the new injector on the left has the o-ring removed to show the actual body design).

IMG_20130704_153646.jpg

From a bit of googling, it seems that the pintle cap style injector is an older design, and most other forums say that they are interchangeable.  However, they dont seem to seat in my intake manifold well, if at all.

To others that have swapped to larger injectors, what style tip did the new injectors have? Did you have to bore out the injector bosses in the manifold for the newer style tips?

Edited by ryan95i4

Anybody with an angle-tilting drill press could do it!

Buy a proper sized reamer, and you could probably do it with your hand drill and a new sharp bit (I did!)

Mine were resized for a different type of pintile (not 14mm) but the process is the same:

Dril 0,5mm undersize, and then ream to final dimension. There are brave souls who will just sink the drill bit at 14mm and say with a sharp bit the wall finish will be good enough, and the O-Ring can take up any irregularities---and they are probably right. But I felt more comfortable drilling slightly undersize and taking the last 0.020" to final size with a hand reamer.

It's not difficult to DIY if you have access to a drill press or hand drill and a sharp bit and good reamer.