HybridZ

72' 240Z, found dormant for 10+yrs. where to start?

Well I recently picked up a 100% complete 72' 240Z. The last time it was known to run was 2003. I just got it home last night.

I plan to use this thread to update on my progress of bringing her back to life.

It needs floors and rails from sitting for so long. But before I even get into doing that. I'd like to try and get it fired up.

Now I have a few questions regarding firing it up. Where should I start?i know I'm going to have to pull the fuel tank and do the resealing process. Blow out the lines, clean the carbs the best I can. Change the oil and spark plugs. Pull the dist. cap and check the points, I actually have an extra ZX electronic dist that will go in eventually. Then I guess I should give it a crank and see what happens?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Here are a few pics if the car. post-3320-0-69311900-1373571585_thumb.jpgpost-3320-0-25848200-1373571716_thumb.jpgpost-3320-0-29101100-1373572157_thumb.jpg

Also, while the plugs are out do a compression test.

The L24 engine in my 72 240 was my daily driver for eight years and it had over 200K miles on it when I did the SBC swap. So you may get some more miles out of  your Z once it is running.

If you are new to 240Z cars then buy "How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car" by Wick Humble. This book explains how to take the car apart, restore it and reassemble it properly. It contains many photographs that detail how to remove and replace parts that no other books cover. It will save you countless hours.

You can get it at Motor Sports Auto (MSA) or possibly Amazon. Approx $20.00

First of all, congratulations on the find! Beautiful car, and glad you have decided to bring it back to life.

I recently brought back a 911 that sat for roughly ten years, and prior to that, I had no experience with such things. So I can safely say that with the support of individuals here, you will be just fine.

1. I first started out by boiling the fuel tank, making sure it was perfectly clean before I put fuel in.
  2. I then checked all of the fuel lines for cracks; I would replace all of them, as there aren't many on the Z car.
  3. I replaced any leaking gaskets, Z will be easier for this.
  4. I did an oil change.
  5. I pulled the plugs and put 1 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, left the plugs out.
  6. I lifted the rear into the air, put the car in 5th gear, and spun the crank with a breaker bar (SLOWLY first, with my hands grasping the belt to make sure it didn't fall off)
  7. I pulled the coil line.
  8. I cranked for 10-15 seconds, intermittently. Roughly 5-10 times. This will help oil the engine.
  9. I put the spark plugs in.
  10. I cranked motor, and it started! You can also put some starter fluid into the carbs prior to this.
Edited by spitz17

Thanks for all the replies! Well this weekend I plan on trying to get it running. So I will report back with the results!

On a side note, HybridZ is the only Z site I trust! Everyone here has a wealth of knowledge not matched by any other site! Thanks again!

• 2 months later...