HybridZ

Progress report and advice

I've been thinking about how tight it will be and the fact that I mounted my fuel pumps on the side of the cell... I may ditch the magnaflows and go with a smaller "muffler" like you have sunny. I like the way your car sounds

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot your pumps were on the side. In fact, you should probably move them lower (or closer to) the outlet height. Walbro's are a pusher, not a puller style.  I've seen people have problems with their pump too high and fuel starvation / burning up pumps. 

Mine (single) is mounted on the front of the tank, about an inch above the bottom, just in line with the outlet of the tank.  I have no issues until i get LOW on fuel.

Forgot your pumps were on the side. In fact, you should probably move them lower (or closer to) the outlet height. Walbro's are a pusher, not a puller style.  I've seen people have problems with their pump too high and fuel starvation / burning up pumps. 

Mine (single) is mounted on the front of the tank, about an inch above the bottom, just in line with the outlet of the tank.  I have no issues until i get LOW on fuel.

never thought about the fuel pump thing.. I can always move them lower is suppose

I cut the only non rusted piece of my car out (spare tire well) to put duals on!

Got my speedway motors radiator yesterday. Welds look better than I expected and it looks like it will fit between the subframe rails with just enough room for some rubber gasket material to act as an insulator.As long as it doesn't leak it's not bad for $180.

post-33376-0-96520200-1374150328_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-45866000-1374150351_thumb.jpg

I cut the only non rusted piece of my car out (spare tire well) to put duals on!

Got my speedway motors radiator yesterday. Welds look better than I expected and it looks like it will fit between the subframe rails with just enough room for some rubber gasket material to act as an insulator.As long as it doesn't leak it's not bad for $180.

That radiator looks damn good. What fan setup are you going to run?

I got a single 16" SPAL curved blade fan. I have some 20ga stainless sheet left over from work that I'm going to use to make a shroud. The radiator actually fits pretty well, I thought it was going to be too wide and it is a little tall but the core is fully exposed through the core support. Speedway sells an AFCO radiator that looks pretty much the same as the one I got but has mounting tabs on the bottom and sides for only $20 more. If I would have seen it I would have bought it. They are both double pass radiators. I am going to at least get it mocked up this weekend and I will take some pics to show the fit.

I got a single 16" SPAL curved blade fan. I have some 20ga stainless sheet left over from work that I'm going to use to make a shroud. The radiator actually fits pretty well, I thought it was going to be too wide and it is a little tall but the core is fully exposed through the core support. Speedway sells an AFCO radiator that looks pretty much the same as the one I got but has mounting tabs on the bottom and sides for only $20 more. If I would have seen it I would have bought it. They are both double pass radiators. I am going to at least get it mocked up this weekend and I will take some pics to show the fit.

I need to measure my fan and see how big it is.. In my mind a dual fan is needed but I suppose a big single will work too. What kind of CFM is needed to keep these motors cool?

I'll have to look but I think the one I got is 1600-1700 cfm. From what I've read the fan postition and shrouding is pretty important. There was an article in Rods and Customs (it think) a couple months ago about cooling I'll look tonight and see if its online

Edit 2070 cfm at 19 amps. This fan is pretty 'thick' though, 3.5", I'm pretty sure I will have enough room though.

Edited by Naptown Dave

I'll have to look but I think the one I got is 1600-1700 cfm. From what I've read the fan postition and shrouding is pretty important. There was an article in Rods and Customs (it think) a couple months ago about cooling I'll look tonight and see if its online

Edit 2070 cfm at 19 amps. This fan is pretty 'thick' though, 3.5", I'm pretty sure I will have enough room though.

Yeah I can imagine. Mine does not have a shroud. I wonder what kind of a difference if any at all mounting the fan behind the radiator and adding a shroud would make?

Probably nothing if you keep moving all the time! I've been to Houston in April I don't think you can keep anything cool down there! :fmad:

I'll see if I can dig up that article, it was saying the shroud was pretty important becaues the air would just want to swirl around the fan housing and not pull 100% through the radiator

Edited by Naptown Dave

Just measured mine and it is 14" no clue on the brand and I'm clueless what type of radiator I have also.. I do know the radiator is about 23-24" long and about 18" tall. The actual dimensions of the fin surface is more like 21.5" wide though. I REALLY want to find a shroud for it and see if it makes any difference. I still need to spend some time to figure out my wiring too.. This thing is wired to come on and stay on as soon as your turn the key

Edited by CrayZ