HybridZ

AC return line hose blew open.

I Had my AC system recharged with R12 two weeks ago, and yesterday the hose blew open on the return line.

Why would this happen?

Is my compressor done now because it ran for at least 5 minutes while it was like this. It made no noise at all that this happens.

Also, would it be safe to just replace the line? I'm trying to understand why this happened.

Probably just an old hose . When the hose blew the A/C comp. should turn off due to no press. in the system ( low press switch will turn the comp. off ) . Just replace the blown hose and would rec. new drier too ( contaminated with moisture ) . Recharge it then check your press readings and system performance .

Most hose shops will make up AC Lines. Too late now, but on these older systems if I don't see evidence that the original hoses have been changed...I have them made up new. OC Hose off Baker down by South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa makes them crazy cheap and they will do it while I wait if I bring the old hoses...many times I'm paying a hose, crush sleeve, and assembly labor only (use the original fittings over)...

The dryer can be 'baked out' if you aren't married... Put it in the oven at 200-350 for a couple of hours put on some gloves and plug it with some silicone plugs after it's hot and you're good to go. The activated alumina inside is an adsorbent, and you will get an oil vapor off it.... AutoZone or any auto parts retailer can usually get you the Factory stuff, or you will use a 'universal' dryer if you have an aftermarket system. Do you have copper lines in the engine bay, with short rubber lines from the Compressor to the Condensor and Copper line to Compressor---or longer flexible lines all over? If so, consider replacing that aftermarket plumbing with factory stuff. There were plenty of AC systems retrofitted to 280s' and the factory stuff slides in easily. If the evaporator is in the dash, instead of in a pod under the dash on the passenger's side, you will get better performance from a Factory IN-Dash system retrofit. 

When you say "return" hose, what do you mean? The one from the pump to condenser? Usually that is the one that blows because it can be 300+ PSI in hot weather. After that, the refrigerant (in the stock system) is in copper lines as a High Pressure Liquid to the receiver/accumulator and on into the passenger compartment. But it's usually the (short) rubber line from compressor to Condenser that blows because it's both HOT and High Pressure. After the passenger compartment, it's under 100psi if it's under 100F, that's usually no problem even for older lines .But that compressor discharge line IF ANYTHING is always suspect. Even more if the PCV system was leaky coating the rubber hoses with oil mist and caking with dirt.