HybridZ

Broken driveshaft-hoping to learn a lot from repair

RebekahsZ

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not having fun trying to get this custom driveshaft made. The Driveshaft Shop seems to need me to tell them exactly what I want, as opposed to them giving me a recommendation. Very hard to get their driveshaft man on the phone, but at least he emails. I'm asking them for a Mark Williams hardened chrome moly slip yoke, 1350 solid Spicer u-joints, and they feel that a 3" DOM steel tube is adequate. What I don't know is what static yokes and flange are available. I think I'm learning that they are all cast iron??? Anybody have any ideasrecommendations on these parts?

Final plan:

Strange nitrited billet slip yoke, standard fixed yokes, 1350 solid Spicer front u-joint, 3" DOM tube, 1310 solid Spicer rear u-joint (size limited by rear Nissan flange size), round 300zxt Nissan rear flange with square bolt pattern for 10mm bolts. $585. Waiting for arrival. Racing on repaired driveshaft tomorrow night, reducing 2-step from 4000rpm to 3000 rpm.

Installed the cheap cast slip yoke from speedway and made about 12 passes on it. Result: twisted. It hasn't snapped yet, but I put straight markings on the yoke with a sharpie and they are clearly twisted like a peppermint stick. Just ordered a forged TCI yoke from Jegs. It was the only hardened unit I could find that accepted 1310 U-joints. Gonna try to have it swapped out for Saturday's autocross. I'm running one yoke per event lately. Just fixing this driveshaft to keep car limping along till custom driveshaft arrives.