HybridZ

Trans ops plz!!!

Guest 280Tom'z

Guest 280Tom'z

what options do i have on transmisions i want more gears or just an all out better trans for my 76 L28 something better than the 4 speed thats in it now. can i take a trans from a 240sx or any other cars or can i use a t56 i'm not looking to spend a god awful amount of money if i can't do any of this does any one have a five speed from a Z that's in good running cond. thanks for your help! confused2.gif

Hello, Most of us with 240Z's have gone to the 280ZX transmissions (5-speeds) to replace the old 4-speeds. It is a basic bolt in. Just make sure you keep the collar for the throw out bearing with the transmission. They come in different lenghts and may affect shifting. The 280ZX transmission has been the best gearing for the early Z czr. With a 3:90 geared rearend under it. It has great off the line capability. I use this combo in my car during racing season. Got the rearend out of a 280ZX (79 or 80) 2+2. Make sure you get the drive shaft with it. The drive shaft from the 4-speed is longer and will brake after hard usage (don't have the space to slide in and out). I know because it happened to me. Froze the rear u-joint in the drive shaft and caused a bad vibration. Take care, and good luck, Rich. cheers.gif