HybridZ

Plugging Antenna Hole?

Onion

I need to stop touching things. I messed with the antenna on the rear left quarter panel, and dropped the whole darn thing down the hole! I managed to fix it out after lots of cursing and furious pacing. I also managed to reassemble the whole thing, but I can't get it to screw in tight again, so it kind of just flops around on the hole. My car doesn't have a radio or speakers, and I don't plan on having either. Is it a tough job to get rid of the antenna entirely and plug the hole? I'm not very good at body work, so I'm not really sure how to plug it. Or could I just tighten the antenna down again so its like it used to be? The car is a 1973 240Z.

You can probably find the proper size gromet somewhere online. I'd suggest mcmaster carr. 

Now if you really want it shaved, you'd need to cut out a piece of metal, weld it in place then shave it down and use bondo or something to even the look out. It's such a small area that you could probbably do it yourself or you can get a body shop to do it for less than $100 if they don't need to paint match it. 

I plugged mine up while doing the body work.  Like BluDestiny said, I cut a piece of sheetmetal to the same size and bent it to match the contour of the surrounding area.  After very carefully welding it in place (don't want to warp the metal by overheating it) I ground the extra weld down.  If done right, it should hardly need any filler at all.

blue72_done03_small.jpg