HybridZ

50 LARGE 72 240Z Hybrid

PLATA

Car cost $65,000 to build, weighs in under 2400# and is ZZ4 - 400HP powered "Winston West Fast". Very well sorted car.

I suggested to the broker he contact Rocky Auto as the US Market would not appreciate the effort put into it.

You will not reproduce this car (nor even get close) for $20K!

<EDIT> And did I mention the build was done by the original purchaser, single owner of the vehicle? That car started on the lot new, the guy bought it, drove it, stored it for his kids (who didn't want it) and then did THIS to it or his own driving pleasure...

Edited by Tony D

That's the way it is here in the USA.

People are so delusional about the real oats of constructing a car like this...

I look and go "what would it cost me to reproduce this?"

An adult, with resources built this car. He asked experts how to accomplish what he wanted. Didn't go overboard, and put time into finishing the car.

It was a "get in and drive it across the country" -- which he did to some events, during the summer.

Frankly, I wouldn't waste my time brokering it in the USA, which I suspect is why it's on E-Bay. That is a REASONABLE selling price for this car on the international market. My suspicions are it will end up in Japan or Europe with someone who will appreciate it.

Some people don't want a project. In Japan, this is MUCH less expensive than a new car, performance that can't be equalled, and with an inspection schedule that will give the buyer 10 years of fun...

Or even longer as a "Red Slash Plated Weekend Car"

PLATA, I am trying to understand why you always post these types of threads.

Is it just me, or do those fuel lines look like they are way too close to the exhaust?

Look again.  He has Goodridge heat insulatio/shielding around that particular line.  I used the same stuff on my turbo swap for the oil drain line from the turbo to the pan since it passed by the exhaust downpipe, and my current LS1 swap uses it for the transmission cooler lines coming and going from the tranny.

In Tony's words, he did it right.

Stop trying to actively pick the car apart.

Edited by ktm

I knew about it being posted for some time. I don't know why he's selling, I hope health issues or death has not befallen the original builder. I have not gotten the story around why it's up for sale, I was sort of shocked it was, given his history with the car. I would only see those two (and likely one) causing this, as he went through a Quad Bypass and didn't sell it as I recall!

It says only two owners. The photos are in the Original Owner's Driveway, I wonder who the seller actually is... 

This may be a convenience transfer for commission brokerage and liability separation (welcome to Southern California!)

The good news is that the market for our cars Asia/ Japaneses cars has taken off as predicted. The down turn in the economy caused the values to stalemate for a few years but the values have moved steadily up.Well sorted nice Zs nothing special, though professionally built are privately trading hands in the $20,000 to $30,000 range. The Holey Grail of Asian cars the Toyota GT 2000 was trading hands for $250,000 to $275,000 three years ago. I have a friend who purchased one at the top end of that value it was the first Asian car invited to the The Quail. A lesser Toyota GT 2000 sold this year at auction for $1.2 million. A nice increase in three years. The increase is following suite. Collectors are searching for really nice GTRs, Roadsters, and Z and if they are not finding what they want, the collectors are commissioning builds. This is good news for all of us Z owners. 

:iagree: ^^^^^ I do hope that the up trend continues, but seems that the norm is , spend  50 + or - G's on a nice built Z  conversion LS1 or what ever  and if the time to sell for what ever reason comes, you collect if lucky a bit over half of that money. So I have come to this rational, think on how much value/money it cost you to enjoy that car as a lease. You pay for the smiles per miles , yes a very irrational thought , but it works for me , let me enjoy my money pit m&mparty.gif

Edited by PLATA

A friend bought a 1964 289 Cobra used in 1967 for $4,200. He sold it 30 years later for $185,000.

I have owned my Z longer than that. Unfortunate for us the Z values never followed near that or the

Toyota 2000 GT. And they should not have either. A 240 will just have to wait a lot longer.

I got a note, all is well with the builder. He is actually the second owner, buying the car as a brokered deal from the original owner in 1972 (remember 6-month waiting lists?) apparently someone placed a speculative order in 1971, took delivery specifically to flip the car upon delivery.

Selling as he is now reworking his Olds 442, driveline of which is for sale as he's "going bigger"!

I'm glad he's building something else, and has not croaked!

I highly doubt a 2000GT done up like this would bring what a true original restoration would bring. Jamie's Bond Ejection Seat Model the notable exception.

I say it's "fortunate" they haven't taken off in value.

Not actually trying to actively pick the car apart, mostly just found the picture curious.  The silly thing about the written word is that sometimes you can't convey inflection quite so well as you'd like.  It could be foreshortening tricking the eye in this one photo, but the line on the driver's side did look like it might be close to the exhaust.  As Tony said, this car has been driven extensively so it mustn't be a problem.  I can see now the line on the passenger side with the heat shielding on it.  I have a fuel injected big block in one of my vehicles and I had to run braided steel lines that are closer to the exhaust than I would like and over 5,000 miles haven't had any problems with vapor lock.