HybridZ

Cuts out in 3rd gear

Guest Zpeed

Guest Zpeed

well just for the people that don't rember

when going thou the gears, peddle to the floor, 1st revs perfect 2nd is good, once i hit third at 4500rpm it just cuts out, and the engine sounds like it is bogging down...

i had the thought that it was the fuel pump as it was a aftermarket one.. but i changed that with a original 260z electronic fuel pump, and it still bogs down in 3rd gear, and can't go any higher... and new fuel filter also

i've checked my floats in my 240z SU's, and they seem good... i've tried richening it up with no effect... tried even leaning to no effect...

all i can possible think of is that my air/fuel mixture is way way off, or i need Sm needles, as its a L26 with 240z stock SU's, its fine normal driving... thats why i don't understand it

and i can go higher revs in 1st and second gear... it kinda sounds like it is chocking kindoff, i've changed my dizzy to a 280zx electronic dizzy, but it did it when i had the points dizzy also

the engine is freashly rebuilt, exhuast is 2 1/4, did it also before i got new exhaust.. i get good voltage.... i don't know what else it could be cept for way off air/flow ratio... or i need bigger needles for the carbs, SM needles.. also i am using AT fluid in the SU's, which was recomended by the guy at a carb place in my area..

Just a thought, but sounds similar to one of my elusive carb problems. Too much fuel? 1,2 gears are pulling quicker and can keep up with gas flow, less demand in third and goes too rich. I went through my whole ignition, changed metering blocks, carbs, until I finally found I was getting way too much fuel causing a rev limiter-like bog. Do you have a regulator? Floats too high? Try going to other way.

John

My last car had problems with something in the tank that would get sucked onto the pickup. Car would crap out. You could shut it off, shake it side to side, turn the fuel pump back on and it would be fine :mad: Got where I could finally do it by shutting the pump off, shaking the wheel side to side, and turning pump back on and never have to stop :D

Guest Zpeed

if it was putting to much gas in there, it would have black smoke coming out of the rear wouldn't it, it doesn't do that..

and it doesn't actaully stop, i can changed to a higher gear, say 4th and keep going...

Guest Zpeed

i got the 280zx dizzy in mine, with early 240z carbs.. so its a aussie version, so no egr on my car,

and not sure if second set of points, meaning the automatic dizzy how it has the 2 points system... i have a manual so it didn't come with that